Reuse screw cap bottle and co2 ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaika-Dzari

Reaction score
To make a short story,

After I start brewing (beer), my mother told me my grand father was making some kind of fruit wine a long time ago (50-60 years ago). The last time they tasted it was when my parent got married.
A couple of weeks later, my mother called and told me she had found the recipe somehow. The sheet was yellow and the ink nearly unreadable but I was able to make a copy. The recipe is hilarious by today standard. :p

So I decide one month ago to brew it and give to my mother, aunts and uncle a bottle each for Christmas.
It is time to bottle now but I have an issue: my mother told me last weekend that the wine was not flat but actually a sparkling wine.

As I don't have any equipment to bottle wine, I was planning to reuse screw-cap wine bottle. My grand father was using old soft drink bottle (think coke, 7-up, but different brand) they were selling in wood crate a long time ago. :p
Now I'm not sure what I should do...

Do I try the screw-cap bottle with a light volume of co2 ( ex: 1.5 ) ?
My only alternative is to buy new beer bottle (500ml) and cap them like I normally do for beer. I'll be able to get them back I guess but it's annoying to pay 30$ for bottle...
FYI: no one will age it. It will probably be consume right away or a couple of days later.

Opinion ?

screw-cap wine bottles are NOT meant to be carbonated in the bottle. they will explode from the pressure.

if you had the screw on Champagne bottles (very thick glass) those should hold the extra pressure from carbonating, and most beer bottles will also work fine.

i would ask around locally to see if people have empty beer bottles to get rid of. you might just get them all for free.

hum, was I thought... :(

I can't really ask around for beer bottle unfortunately. Most beer around here are sold in 500 ml Can and with covid I can't ask any convenient store...

Thanks FromZwolle

Back