Refining my Cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N3Bruce

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is still kind of a work in progress. I was invited to crush some apples from my brother in law's large apple tree and I ended taking home 3+ gallons of pasteurized cider. The cider had a gravity of 1.050, and I decided to add a pound of corn sugar, which brought it to 1.060. I started this in my chamber at 70 degrees with Lalvin D47. Then I got the idea of making a cyser and proceeded to add 4 pounds of honey and a cinnamon stick and a little yeast nutrient along the way. It has fermented to dryness but still a little cloudy, which I expect. Based on the numbers I ran, it is about 15.6 percent alcohol. I had brewed a raspberry cyser once before that turned out great, but I treated it like wine for the most part.

Evaluation of the hydrometer sample detects the presence of the honey, but it is dominated by a sort of hot alcoholic flavor. Thinking of a couple more amendments, I am cold crashing it and plan to add gelatin to clear the haze, but I am hoping it smooths out a bit. Any thoughts?

If flavor is good but it's just too hot, I would leave it alone, just give it some time. Check it in a couple of months. The alcohol hotness should improve the older it gets.

Back