Recommended CO2 tank size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TKB21

Reaction score
Hey all! This is my first post and am very excited to be apart of the community! In short, I'm a mobile lemonade stand and make my own syrups. I'm using 6 Flojet 5000s to pump the syrups from a BIBs to a Wunderbar Gun. On my best days (so far) I'm usually serving 200 drinks at fairs and festivals. I was wondering what would be the ideal CO2 tank size to buy/bring given this information. I'm fine with getting a tank that exceeds expectations in the event of a surge in customers but also don't wanna get anything that's overkill if it isn't needed.

Also worth noting. I looked into getting an air compressor but it opened up a whole can of worms as far as having to get a generator and the large costs that come along with that. If there's any suggestions and/or improvements on how I'm envisioning this setup, please let me know! Thanks!

This link has a lot of useful info on CO2 tanks.

https://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/faqs/co2+tank+faqs.shtml
If you're really set on purchasing a tank, I'd suggest finding a place where you can do a tank exchange first. That way, you can figure out what size you actually need based on your own volume, how often you have to do an exchange, etc. Once you've got that handled, you'll have a better idea of what size tank to purchase.

but i would say an on the fly solution would really save on co2, using a pump instead of pressure from co2? i'd guess... :mug:

Idea about exchange is great. You can buy a nice shiny new one but when you exchange, you take what they have. You also have to worry about weight. 5 lbs are very light but may be harder to exchange depending on where you can locally. 10 lbs are heavier but not too bad. 20 lbs ten to be steel and heavy. You always have to think about steel vs aluminum as you have to take what they have at the exchange. 10 and 20 lbs are the most common for exchanges.

I personally would get a 10 lb one. Look on craiglist to see if you can find a tank. You have to have a tank to exchange and it does not normally matter if out of date as they will exchange it for one that is full.

I have two 5-pound aluminum cylinders from PraxAir, they exchange the empties with full 5-pound aluminum cylinders when needed. I like having a spare Co2 cylinder on hand since I tend to run out of Co2 on holidays and weekends when the supplier is closed.

I have never seen a steel 5 lb tank. They do have one on Beverage Elements for sale.

Some exchange them but I have found a couple of places that do not do the 5 lb ones. Certainly for convivence, the 5 lbs are easy to take along.

It also costs more per pound to exchange the 5 lb vs a 10 lb one

Just saw where 5lb was $20 AND 10 LB was $25.

I started out years ago with a shiny, new 10 lb. tank. Found out that, at least in this area, 10# is a bastard size and no one would exchange. Picked up a bargain 20# which I would recommend. Fewer trips to the supplier and cheaper per lb. to swap than the smaller sizes (though I do keep a 5#er around for mobile purposes).

I have a 20 lb tank on my keys are my serving keg because I don't move it around much. I have a 5# tank for bottling and other small uses where I have to carry something around. The difference in cost of filling them is only about 10% so CO2 is about three times more expensive when you have a small tank.

I have a 20 lb tank on my keys are my serving keg because I don't move it around much. I have a 5# tank for bottling and other small uses where I have to carry something around. The difference in cost of filling them is only about 10% so CO2 is about three times more expensive when you have a small tank.
Same.

I started out years ago with a shiny, new 10 lb. tank. Found out that, at least in this area, 10# is a bastard size and no one would exchange. Picked up a bargain 20# which I would recommend. Fewer trips to the supplier and cheaper per lb. to swap than the smaller sizes (though I do keep a 5#er around for mobile purposes).
You do need to check CO2 suppliers where you are. Different places have some great price differences and what they size exchange. You need more than a single supplier and what they carry may affect what you want to get and how far you have to go.

Murphy's law: You will need CO2 NOW and the near place is closed.

Are you intending to use CO2 to push (cold) drinking water from their containers to your Wunderbar Gun?
How much water pressure is needed to operate that gun? That's important.

You're not using any CO2 to carbonate the water, correct?

A 5# CO2 tank should be able to push out around 5*32 = 150 gallons of water at 14 psi. If my calculations are correct. ;)
200 x 12 oz servings/day = about 19 gallons served per day.

A 5# CO2 tank would be good for 150/20 = 7.5 events, theoretically.
You may lose some gas here and there, while the water, being under pressure, will slowly absorb some CO2 too, getting lowly carbonated.
So say 5 events, effectively.

I would surely bring a full backup tank, just in case there's a leak or some other trouble.

Or get a 20# tank, and a 5# as backup.

[Edited]
I just reread your OP and the other thread about your system:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/recommended-setup-for-custom-bibs-used-with-syrups.704265/
You're planning to use CO2 to "pump" the syrups to your Wunderbar Gun with this "coca-cola valve pump kit."
Since the volume of syrups dispensed is much lower than the chilled water, just use the correct fraction of the calculations in my previous post. ^

A 5# CO2 bottle can easily supply enough gas for both syrup and water dispensing. Plus a backup tank.

I'm only recommending the 20# tank as your work horse, as they're quite a bit more economical in usage, compared to a 5# tank.

Last edited:
I use a 20# tank on my kegerator. Also have a 10# aluminum tank as a point of use portable. I fill the 20# tank as needed and use that to refill my 10# tank. It is significantly less expensive that way. As a bonus if I let my large tank run out i still can use the smaller one until I can exchange it. I check my fill against the tare weight stamped on the tank and occasionally weigh the tanks but occasionally I still mess up. The smaller tank does come in handy In those cases.

This link has a lot of useful info on CO2 tanks.

https://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/faqs/co2+tank+faqs.shtml
If you're really set on purchasing a tank, I'd suggest finding a place where you can do a tank exchange first. That way, you can figure out what size you actually need based on your own volume, how often you have to do an exchange, etc. Once you've got that handled, you'll have a better idea of what size tank to purchase.
Great link! It should be part of every home brewers toolbox. Thanks for sharing!!

[Edited]
I just reread your OP and the other thread about your system:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/recommended-setup-for-custom-bibs-used-with-syrups.704265/
You're planning to use CO2 to "pump" the syrups to your Wunderbar Gun with this "coca-cola valve pump kit."
Since the volume of syrups dispensed is much lower than the chilled water, just use the correct fraction of the calculations in my previous post. ^

A 5# CO2 bottle can easily supply enough gas for both syrup and water dispensing. Plus a backup tank.

I'm only recommending the 20# tank as your work horse, as they're quite a bit more economical in usage, compared to a 5# tank.
Thanks for the breakdown! One thing I should mention. I'm planning to use a water pump for the 5gal jugs I'll be bringing to events so no CO2 to be pumped there. Does this change things as far as the milage I'll be getting out of a tank and which one to choose? Also, did those water bags seem ideal as a replacement BIB?

A 20 pound tank is right at the junction of portability and value on fills. A 20lb fill is 4x the co2 for only 2x the cost. Its also a common size.
Thanks for the this as well as all of your other helpful posts thus far in my journey!

Prices for CO2 are going up. My local vendor previously charged $12 for 10# and $18 for 20#. This week he raised it to $22 for 20#. I buy the 20# and refill my 10# bottles from the 20# bottle. It is easy to do you can buy the connector line on-line if you can’t find it locally. Unless the tank you are filling from has a dip tube you need to invert the supply tank. I am not recommending anyone refill their own tanks as it can be dangerous. Just saying what a dedicated tightwad can do to save some money.

Back