Open questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glutarded-chris

Reaction score
With GF all grain, we all struggle with low finishing gravity, mouthfeel etc. and try ingredients and process steps to help. Some things still don’t make sense to me and I wanted to get your thoughts.

Some styles call for a mash-out step at a specific point in the mash and I think some GF brewers use a mash-out to try to keep the FG from going too low. Wouldn’t that just lead to more starch in the wart going into the fermenter? My batches that i get poor efficiency seem to finish as low as the ones i get great efficiency. Thoughts?

When i brewed with sorghum syrup i always used maltodextrin for mouthfeel. Have not needed it with all grain but have considered using a little as i try lower OG summer batches. Since maltodextrin is not fermentable, i would expect the gravity contribution of the maltodextrin to be there point-for-point in the FG. I reviewed my notes from my sorghum syrup days and that does not seem to be the case! What am i missing?

I think the idea is that by the time you hit mash out temps all/most starches have been converted to sugars by the alpha amylase enzymes. The reason I do a mash out is to denature the beta amylase and stop conversion of longer chain sugars to more fermentable sugars and therefore decrease the fermentability of the wort (in theory).

Latest posts

Back