O ring in taprite regulator fitting is smashed, normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceH

Mostly Retired
Reaction score
I can remember @bracconiere posting something similar awhile ago. Today I found the co2 cylinder empty, it should of been mostly full. Kegs aren't leaking.

The "permanent" oring is smashed flat and the b nut was just a little over finger tight. My theory is that a very small gas leak slowly loosened the nut. Other theory is that the o ring slowly collapsed over time leading to loosening of the nut and leaking co2.

I've never heard of a permanent o ring before this. I was trained to only use them one time. I have a good selection of them and am pretty sure I can find a replacement from my stock.

I'm wondering what others have done about this? I could also just keep the smashed o ring in place and use the washer that came with the tank refill (the welding shop always gives me a new washer/gasket).

Thanks,
Bruce

Some investigation reveals a small drilled hole in the o ring groove so I'm either going to have to get the taprite specific washer/oring or find a replacement.

i have had my taprite with "permanent oring" for probably 6 years or so. i also found it surprising and feel the same way. however i have never had an issue. i actually have 2 of them, one in my basement brewery and one dedicated to my 4tap keezer. the one on my keezer the o ring does not look the greatest and i have considered finding a replacement but again has not been an issue. curious to see what you find out.

So I had a replacement oring that is properly sized but it just isn't right, the groove in the regulator is square and deep. It will still work for now, just passed the soapy water test.

In the meantime I'll shut the valve down between pourings. Next step is to order a few of the taprite specific things.

Same thing happened to me with my Taprite regulator. I replaced the flat Taprite ring with a standard round O-ring, size #9 (5/8"OD x 7/16"ID x 3/32"). I bought a box of them at Lowes.

They fit and work so well I never bothered ordering any of the Taprite rings.

To install I unscrew the center piece with an allen wrench, put some keg lube on the O-ring and put it in, then screw in the center piece.

i got away with useing a tank washer for a few years...steel or alluminium tank? i think what killed my o-ring, was that groove steel tanks have on the hook-up....i gave that one away to someone here @deroosa , not sure if they ever got it working or not....

my new one i just used a tank washer from the start....now i'm conceited about keeping my tank on a digital scale acurate to a 10th of an ounce....now i know that i use about an ounce of co2 a day, carbing two kegs at 8psi, and pushing a gallon of 12oz glasses.....half ounce when just serving.....

(losing a co2 tank doesn't cost much, but it sucks!! :mug:)

Aluminum tank.

I ended up using an A111 viton oring. It should hold until I swap tanks again. Morebeer has the taprite parts, 2 for $1.99. I have 10 in my cart but don't want to pay $7.99 shipping and don't need anything they have in stock to bump it up to $59 for free shipping.

Now on to buy $50 worth of unneeded things to save $7.99, lol.

lol, what's the link to the o-rings on more beer? probably could find them on ebay with shipping for less.....when i was a kid they used to call it shipping included, they just lie more these days!

I tried using a tank washer on my Taprite, but it leaked. I didn't want to pay shipping for the Taprite ring from MoreBeer, so that's when I switched to the #9 O-rings.

my brand new tap-rite with a tank washer is fine, have to wait till next swap to see if it holds through the change....(but at least i'll be able to catch it after just an ounce now!! ;))

edit: and i found them on morebeer, they don't look like the one it comes with.....

my brand new tap-rite with a tank washer is fine, have to wait till next swap to see if it holds through the change....(but at least i'll be able to catch it after just an ounce now!! ;))

edit: and i found them on morebeer, they don't look like the one it comes with.....

It sure doesn't but they are advertising them as a fit so I'll have faith in it for now.

Well, since I like to have spares, I will probably be adding the replacement washers to my next MB order. Knock-on-wood, I have not experienced a leak yet!

BTW, are you still leaving the CO2 tank on the scale all the time? Or are you just weighing daily? I have a scale with a 10 year warranty but I would hate to have the spring or plate be damaged with the tank on it forever. Do you have a link to that cheap one I believe you bought off of Amazon?

BTW, are you still leaving the CO2 tank on the scale all the time?

yes i am and i just checked it with a pound bag of beans, still perfectly accurate to the 10th of an ounce.....it was only $27 shipped from amazon, and stays on all the time as long as it's plugged into the wall....i just weigh it reg and all, because all i'm really looking for is a quick change.....if i lose two ounces overnight, i know i have a leak....

and my tank has been sitting on the scale since about march 1st....

here's what i got

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KYA0RC2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

yes i am and i just checked it with a pound bag of beans, still perfectly accurate to the 10th of an ounce.....it was only $27 shipped from amazon, and stays on all the time as long as it's plugged into the wall....i just weigh it reg and all, because all i'm really looking for is a quick change.....if i lose two ounces overnight, i know i have a leak....

and my tank has been sitting on the scale since about march 1st....

here's what i got

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KYA0RC2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks! 👍

Back