Nottingham Yeast in Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williamneal

Reaction score
Hello all, I used Nottingham yeast in a Stout that started with an OG of 1.070 and 9 days into fermentation has been at 1.020 for two days. I raised the temp to 167F for a day but am still at 1.020. So I am at about 70% attenuation. I was under the impression that Notty would attenuate 80%. Do you think the fermentation is complete or is there something I can do to get it started again?

Thanks

yeah 167 was a typo it should have said 67 Grain bill was
10lbs 2 row,
1lb wheat malt,
1lb Munich malt
1lb chocolate malt
.5lb roasted barley
.5lb oats
.25lb Crystal

Mashed at 152F

Thanks

I'll bet on a calibration issue. Either your mash thermometer or your hydrometer readings are off a bit. To calibrate your mash thermometer, check tempertatures at both freezing and at boiling corrected for your elevation. To check your hydrometer, check for 1.000 reading in plain room temperature water. One or both are off.

No sugars or other stuff added... just the water, malts, oats and hops?

I just bottled my first porter/stout and it was a few points higher on the FG than both I and the beer recipe software expected.

Lallmand say the optimal FV temps for Nottingham is 10°C – 25°C (50°F – 72°F). So if you were in the lower range of temps perhaps you might get a few more points by waiting longer whether you warm it up or not. And I have no issue with shaking the FV gently to rouse things up on the bottom a tad.

I have seen some of my ferments go 3 - 4 days to get a single point change of SG near the end. So have you gotten a new SG for today?

Last edited:
Back