Not many Apples this year!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chalkyt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
No doubt everyone is aware of the drought, high temperatures and bushfires here in Oz. My apple trees are suffering and throwing tiny apples on the ground despite my trying to keep water up to them.

So my problem is that by Autumn (Fall) in a couple of month's time I am unlikely to have many apples to play with and those that do survive are likely to be quite small. I have found an orchard from outside the bushfire zones that can supply a range of juices at about the same price as I can buy apples for, so at this stage the "plan" is to buy some juice and add to it whatever I can get from my trees. So the question is... what juice?

They can supply Pink Lady, "Apple Blend", Granny Smith, Fuji. or Royal Gala. So far my successful ciders have been my own blend of whatever I have (not very scientific but it works). Typically this has been some combination of "Mystery" Pippins, Pomme de Neige, Red Delicious, Cox's Orange Pippin, Granny Smith, Ballerina and Crimson Knight Crabs. Most of them are "eating" or "cooking" apples.

Sadly, the Batlow area "over the hill from us" (a four hour drive to the other side of the Snowy Mountains) has been ravaged by the fires with some craft cideries and orchards badly damaged. We aren't sure what will happen with their "Ciderfest" weekend of fun and games this year.

As I said above, I would welcome opinions on what bought juice would be the best for a "base"? All thoughts are welcome.

Back