Not Cool Enough=SOUR?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TorusKnot

Reaction score
I've been making cheese sporadically with varying recipes and procedures for about 6 months now. It's been my intention to bring a few pounds to my Niece's Wedding Cook-Out Bash 600 miles away from me-next weekend.

There was no place to chill the results but in the basement where it stayed about 60 degrees.
I vacuum-packed all the batches in quart bags.
IT IS ALL SOUR/SUPER-SHARP/KEFIR like (and Dry)
Could this higher than optimal temperature cause this?
Lipase was used.

Thoughts?
Kevin

I doubt it, TorusKnot, but I think I would need some more information. The optimal temperature for aging cheese is usually around 55 F so I would think that 60 F is not way off. I know when I lived in Scotland we never refrigerated our cheese and the temperature could be higher than 60 (though not much). The cheese might sweat a little but it was always OK.
What kind of cheese did you make? I never vacuum pack so my knowledge is very skimpy but vacuum packing cheese too soon may trap gases that need to escape and the gases can create ammonia aromas.

Thanks for responding BernardSmith.
I'm beginning to expect an abundance of Lipase?
The age/sour/tart is, as I suggested, more like Kefir.

The types were based on Brick/Cheddar and Swiss recipes. I say "based on" because I really didn't know what I was doing other than trying to follow the recipe.

Back