New Zealand hopped IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rsjackso

Reaction score
Hey everyone, as you'll see this is my first post on hombrewtalk so I wanted to say a quick hello and thank you all for the great advice I've been able to pick up from here over the past couple of months. With that said a little about me. I've brewed six beers in the past month or so and was looking for a little advice on an IPA recipe that I plan to brew in the next couple of days.

I'm a huge fan of New Zealand hops for their citrusy, and often smooth bittering characteristics. I recently got to enjoy my NZ "pale ale" that utilized Nelson sauvin, kohatu, and Motueka hops and really enjoyed the flavor I got from the combination. I felt like the only thing missing was a more "pale ale specific" grain bill and some bite to let me know the hops were truly there hahah so I was wondering if anyone could give me some critique on my grain bill and hop schedule for a NZ hopped IPA.

Here's what I have at the moment:
For 5 gal. Batch
Target OG: 1.066
Target FG: 1.016
IBUs: ~76

10lb- US 2-row
0.5lb- crystal 40
0.5lb- wheat
0.5lb- sugar

0.5 oz.- kohatu 6.4% aa FWH
0.5 oz.- pacific gem @60 min
1.0 oz.- Motueka 6.1% @30 min
0.5 oz.- Nelson Sauvin 10.2%@20min
0.25 oz. Motueka @15min
0.5 oz.- Nelson Sauvin @10min

Dry hop for 7 days:
1.25 oz.- Motueka
0.5 oz.- Nelson Sauvin

WLP001

1tsp Irish moss
Mash at 152*F for 60 minutes

My main question is whether or not my Nelson Sauvin will be too much and wind up masking the other hops I've got on flavor (for the boil additions) or aroma (in the dry hopping). Like I've said, I brewed an APA with these but also added sweet orange peel at the end of the boil which sort of masked some of the hop aroma... whoops.

So if anyone has ANY recommendations concerning ANYTHING it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Back