New Spike Fermenter Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

This past month I bought the Sike Solo bottom drain system and the whole setup including the cart, cooler, pump, etc. I am super happy with the hot side!

I also purchased a Spike conical fermenter that showed up this week. When I opened the package the inside of the fermenter seems to be marked up pretty bad. I reached out to support and they told me to use bar keepers friend but it’s still not coming out. Should I ask for a replacement? I spent good money on this stuff so I am a bit disappointed.

My Flex+ had marks inside as well. Just stuff that happens during manufacturing. If you can't feel them with your fingernail, I wouldn't worry about it.

Here are pictures of the marks. They may be hard to see, but they are all around the side of the inside. They honestly look like something was rubbing really hard on the inside, and they wouldn't come out with cleaning or a barkeeper's friend.

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Here are pictures of the marks. They may be hard to see, but they are all around the side of the inside. They honestly look like something was rubbing really hard on the inside, and they wouldn't come out with cleaning or a barkeeper's friend.
I wouldn't keep them and ask for a replacement or money back. Why should you fix their problem with barkeeper's friend. It's like buying a new car with a dent and customer service tells you to buy a dent puller to take care of the problem. Drink a few beers and think about it.
Cheers :bigmug:

Very surprised to see that from a @SpikeBrewing brewing product, but I've also seen them respond on this site so I'm just adding to this thread because no-one else has tagged them yet.
Where I live, Spike gear is a lot pricer and I was looking at SSBrewtech, but they seem to send a lot of crap out the door and won't sign up on this site where transparency and accountability have swayed me to the side of spending a bit more for the better quality and public presence @SpikeBrewing has on here.

Yup, send it back. If you have the packaging, send it back exactly as you got it and demand a refund.

Contacting Spike is your first step. Send pictures too, I'm sure they'll ask for some.

If the box was damaged that's on the shipper but if it wasn't then that's the seller.

The OP got free shipping so they shouldn't be paying to ship it back.

Something similar happened to me years ago. Start working with them, they'll want pictures and eventually a decision will be made as to what they'll do and/or what you will need to do to get a replacement. They were very good to work with.

I just wanted to update the post. Spike accepted the return, and I ended up upgrading to the CF10. They were more than accommodating. But I agree with most of you. I am a little OCD and don't like marks on my new equipment. Over the past few months, I have spent thousands on new Spike equipment, and honestly, their customer service is top-notch. I will continue to use and shop with them!

I just wanted to update the post. Spike accepted the return, and I ended up upgrading to the CF10. They were more than accommodating. But I agree with most of you. I am a little OCD and don't like marks on my new equipment. Over the past few months, I have spent thousands on new Spike equipment, and honestly, their customer service is top-notch. I will continue to use and shop with them!
Glad it worked out, but Spike has been great to work with so I would have been surprised if they didn't make it right with a replacement.

Don't let OCD be an issue, if you buy new it should be free of defects, period.

I have the CF10 and love it!

their customer service is top-notch
This. I am currently working with them on the new chiller. Mine came leaking. Even though we are on shipment two of replacement parts, the service you cannot deny. However, if the new parts don't fix my leak I am requesting a swap.

Spike has always owned its mistakes. In its early days, I sent draft specs for my HLT to Ben Caya. After some back and forth, I sent an updated version. He accidentally built the HLT based on the initial specs instead of the final. When I pointed this out, he built and sent me a new one. Awesome.

Spike has always owned its mistakes. In its early days, I sent draft specs for my HLT to Ben Caya. After some back and forth, I sent an updated version. He accidentally built the HLT based on the initial specs instead of the final. When I pointed this out, he built and sent me a new one. Awesome.

We're running their Nano setup and 3 of the CF30's since we started selling publicly. We bought the Nano system used, and when we got it, there was 2 things wrong with it...

1. The seller of the equipment shipped the steam condenser lid with the 90 deg arm clamped to the top of the lid and the lid on the boil kettle. The downward pressure on the arm from the shrink wrap snapped the welded ferule off of the lid.
2. One of the welds on the mash tun legs had broke. On our first brew day, went to fill the mash tun and it was pouring out the bottom through that broken weld. Assuming that with the way things showed up, this was shipping damage also.

We bought this equipment third party and they did not need to stand by it. Luckily, we are only an hour drive from them. They told us that if we're able to, bring both pieces up to their shop and they'd take care of it. Within a couple of hours, they re-welded everything, polished it all up, and even took the blank name plate on our mash tun and engraved our logo in it, all at no charge to us.

We only buy spike equipment at this point and will continue to support them, as they are a great team to work with.

Back