New Castle cheaper than Sam Adams, WTF?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can take or leave an SA. Better then BMC and easy to find on draft. But when it got to being as pricey as some really quality beers out there it became a lot more leaving it. As far as NC, I like it ok on tap, but have been scared off the bottles by some poorly handled examples.

I'm in a suburb of Chicago and got stuck going to a Food 4 Less to grab some beers. To my surprise a 12 piece of New Castle was $2.00 less than a 12 piece of Sam. Can you belive this?

Maybe its just me but seems odd that a beer that comes from England is less than a beer made just a few hundred miles from me. I'm not mad just surprised.

This is my 1000th post! First 5 people to message me will get 10% off their next order.

Cheers!

Does seem Odd, Cool but Odd, i love me some newcastle tho so i would be happy!

Newcastle's a good beer, as long as ya don't buy a skunked clear bottle. But it in closed 12ers, cans or better yet, have it on tap. IMO, SA has really slipped in quality, down to that of near macro levels, while continuing to sell their beer at craft brew prices. I stopped buying their beer after trying latitude 48... A very mediocre pale ale that, to my pallatte, tasted like pretty much all of SA's lighter offerings, adjunct-y and oxidized.

I bought a case of SA mix 4 each of six brews because I wanted to taste a Sasson and a Kolch. The Kolch was ok, the Sasson sucked (along w/my spelling) I don't like their lager or the lite. I'm not a "hoppy" guy so didn't like the IPA either. Was a waste of money just to try something new.

I bought a case of SA mix 4 each of six brews because I wanted to taste a Sasson and a Kolch. The Kolch was ok, the Sasson sucked (along w/my spelling) I don't like their lager or the lite. I'm not a "hoppy" guy so didn't like the IPA either. Was a waste of money just to try something new.

Try their black lager it is AMAZING!

Try their black lager it is AMAZING!

My buddy who is not the biggest craft beer drinker ran up to me when I was back in Pittsburgh to tell me that same exact thing. I thought it was cool that a BMC drinker found something better that he loved.

I did not realize this was going to become a referendum on the quality of either one of these beers/companies, but i gotta say I love the banter!

I have to say I am a fan of NC, it was one of the first non BMC beers that I drank and fell in love with. It has seem to change over the year (most likely my palate has changed) but still a respectable beer in my opinion.
Sam is all over the place; I honestly believe they have too many beers in their lineup and have gotten so caught up in being the only billion dollar “micro” brewery that all of their beers have suffered. They still have a few things I like but over I’m more apt to pass on any of their selections hence the basis for this thread.

aerialmedical said:
eh...you should try nc summer ale and nc werewolf, their new seasonal releases....like licking the grundle of a wet dog...something about their beers i just ain't jivin' with.

grundle!

Yeah it's gotta be a supply and demand thing. Even the SA knockoffs like Costco's Kirkland brang "craft ales" get me salivating more than New Castle. Not sure what the appeal of New Castle is at all other than foriegn beer. Maybe I need to try it warm or something.

those weren't half bad. My father gave me a case (a sampler of 4), pretty tastey brew and 24 new bottles for me.

New Castle is owned by one of the big breweries these days so it being cheaper does not surprise me.

My buddy who is not the biggest craft beer drinker ran up to me when I was back in Pittsburgh to tell me that same exact thing. I thought it was cool that a BMC drinker found something better that he loved.

I did not realize this was going to become a referendum on the quality of either one of these beers/companies, but i gotta say I love the banter!

I have to say I am a fan of NC, it was one of the first non BMC beers that I drank and fell in love with. It has seem to change over the year (most likely my palate has changed) but still a respectable beer in my opinion.
Sam is all over the place; I honestly believe they have too many beers in their lineup and have gotten so caught up in being the only billion dollar “micro” brewery that all of their beers have suffered. They still have a few things I like but over I’m more apt to pass on any of their selections hence the basis for this thread.

Oh i completely agree, the only beers from them i have found that i like IS the black lager and the fruit beers(yes i am a guy,Yes i like fruit beers, to any one that has a problem with that i say dont knock it till you try it). As a whole tho i look at Sam Adams as one step above BMC, the only thing they seem to still have going for them is that they dont do the unethical practices of the big boys.

i don't have a problem with fruit beers, but they're cherry wheat tastes like cough syrup

I think Sam Adams quality has diminished over the last couple years. Seems like they all taste like the same beer with different additives for flavor.I still like their Summer Ale on draught though. Maybe it just my changing taste? Still, better than bmc....

I think Sam Adams quality has diminished over the last couple years. Seems like they all taste like the same beer with different additives for flavor.I still like their Summer Ale on draught though. Maybe it just my changing taste? Still, better than bmc....

Sam Summer, this years, is probably the worst beer I've ever had.I truly can't think of a worst beer except maybe coors light or nattie.

I'd take an old fashion Bud over that any day.

Whatever they call it, it's no more a Koelsch than Shiner Bock is a bock. I wouldn't mind if the TTB cracked down on these false advertising practices eventually.

Whatever they call it, it's no more a Koelsch than Shiner Bock is a bock. I wouldn't mind if the TTB cracked down on these false advertising practices eventually.

I hope not, last thing this country needs is a mini-police telling us what we can label our beers ala europe.

Well I guess its probably not a freshness issue then. I will say that there is a marked difference between bottled and kegged. I pretty much only drink it on tap anymore. Kind of a sad thing.

Sam Summer, this years, is probably the worst beer I've ever had.I truly can't think of a worst beer except maybe coors light or nattie.

I'd take an old fashion Bud over that any day.

Probably the worst beer you've ever had? If that's the case, you need to try harder as there are an ass-ton of beers on my local liquor store shelves that trump it in the worst category. It's a nothing special beer- not a spit it out and rinse your mouth beer. :mug:

You lost all credibility when you said you liked their cough syrup, erm, Cherry Wheat.

I can't drink more then two at a time, but I used to like having them around and having 1 or 2. (Haven't had them in a while though)

The blackberry replaced the cherry wheat in my "don't look at me wearing a skirt" type of beer to have now and then.

That's criminal.

I agree it is! As a matter a fact there is only ONE store in this whole damn town that carries craft brew. Ok that carries any real selection of craft brew. Most stores have Guinness which i consider to be the BMC of stout. The gas station up the road has ONE brown ale. Maybe some Sam Adams(which i dont really call craft brew anymore as big as it is) But still better than BMC that is really about it. The one store, thankfully is owned by a home brewer and has MANY craft brews, pricy yes, up to 16 bucks for a 4pack but generally worth it to drink something that doesn't taste like crap.

Just for ****s I looked up a place in Bryan Ohio. Found this place

http://www.myrospizza.com/specials.html

This is their bottled beer selection:

Miller Genuine Draft, Michelob Ultra, Bud Lite, Budweiser, Miller Lite,
Killians, Coors Lite, Budweiser Select, Barcardi Silver Raz,
Mike’s Hard Lemonade, Blue Moon, Corona, Sam Adams

now that's a bummer

now that's a bummer

Yup welcome to my sad lil world....not to mention the food their is HORRID!

now that's a bummer

damn. that is a bummer. I actually like killians (not that it's very "craft") but if that was my only choice I would get tired of it quick. makes me thankful for what I have

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/19369/view=beerfly

The only decent place to get beer in Bryan. But at least the town has next to no crime! We have had ONE murder in the last 100 years. Crime here is Someones House gets TP'ed, Someone Speeds, or some kid steals a car stereo.

Tho i Disagree about the first review saying that they have a "fair supply of home brewing items" they do not, but it is simply because they dont have the room for it. The owner would have a Full Blown Home brew Supply Section If he had the Space and the Demand in the Area. He is a great guy tho, and if you dont mind waiting he will order anything you ask him to.

At least you have a good bottle shop. Most of my beer drinking is homebrew and store bought micros. But I do appreciate a pub with a good selection of craft taps. My regular watering hole has 24 taps, all but the PBR tap are craft brews. That said, having a bottle shop owned by a local homebrewer has got to be nice, very nice!

At least you have a good bottle shop. Most of my beer drinking is homebrew and store bought micros. But I do appreciate a pub with a good selection of craft taps. My regular watering hole has 24 taps, all but the PBR tap are craft brews. That said, having a bottle shop owned by a local homebrewer has got to be nice, very nice!

Ya it is great that we have at least one store, i just got Spoiled living in Seattle where you can get great beer at the grocery store lol.

Back