Need advice on "re-carbing" cold conditioned kegged beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Two of my kegs have been in my keezer at 12 psi for over three weeks. I normally use a set and forget it method to carb the beer or I carb with corn sugar. Tried sampling each of these today and got very little foam and very little dissolved CO2. Turns out that the rubber rings on the gas inpost have had a slow leak so there is enough pressure to push the beer in the system but not enough to force much CO2 into the beer. I have changed the rings on both sets of kegs.

My question is since the beer has been cold for over three weeks and hopefully conditioned would I be able force more CO2 into the beer faster by raising the pressure and possibly shaking either keg? My inlaws are coming into town for a week and I made each of these beers especially for them.

to properly carb it takes time. yeah you can force carb, but it will have harsh co2 off flavor.

Since it has been on the gas it might have some co2 already in there. I'd bump the pressure up to 20 over night and see what happens.

-=Jason=-

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Home Brew Talk

It'll be fine. I guess you are looking for a a quick way to carb. Turn the pressure up to 30 PSI and shake the crap out of the kegs. Do it a couple times and the next day take the PSI down to serving pressure and let out the excess gas. This works in 2-3 days

to properly carb it takes time. yeah you can force carb, but it will have harsh co2 off flavor.

Any idea if the harsh CO2 off flavor depend on the beer being stored cold for 3+ weeks or would it be the same as if the beer were room temp and then force carbed with the high pressure shake it method?

One keg is a wheat beer and the other is an American Light for my father in law who drinks MG 64 and Bud Select 55. Both of which taste like dirty water to me so i wanted to try to get him into trying my homebrew light beer.

I'd rather drink slightly under carbed beer. I did the cold beer turn up to 30psi, shake the **** out method, and it was a week before the co2 burn was gone.

-=Jason=-

I'd rather drink slightly under carbed beer. I did the cold beer turn up to 30psi, shake the **** out method, and it was a week before the co2 burn was gone.

-=Jason=-

You must have done something wrong. I never have a problem.

Latest posts

Back