Monster Brewing Hardware

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
I had ordered a new Monster Mill MM2-2.0 a while back, with hopper, hopper extension (giving me 39# grain capacity) and base. First time using it, my efficiency wasn't where I expected. Second time it looked like the crush wasn't right, so I checked the gap and found it had moved. I reset it and milled the grain a second time, efficiency still wasn't where I would like. Last brew day I noticed it happened again, so I reached out to Fred to see what they could do about it.

The reply to my email (this was on a Sunday mind you) was that they would send whatever parts were needed to fix it, or offered to give a full refund if I returned it. Well, I'm not one to give up easily, and I do love the mill, so I've opted for the repair option. After a few more emails, to identify the offending side, they sent off a replacement frame side (complete). On my request, they also sent hex head screws/bolts for securing the gap (as well as the thumb screw in the replacement frame side). I tested the frame side with the thumb screw, after it arrived, and found that it would slip if I went as tight as I could by hand. BUT, the hex head screw didn't after using a wrench to just go to snug (not forcing it down hard). So, I'll be using the supplied hex bolts/screws to secure the gap settings on the mill, knowing they won't move a bit. A small dab of non-perm Loc-Tite should ensure no movement from vibrations either.

I'll be giving it a test run this weekend (on the 1st, so the first brew of 2012) to see how it works out. I highly suspect that this will resolve the issue.

They (or Fred) also included a return ship label for the part being replaced. IMO, Monster Brewing Hardware goes those extra steps to keep customers satisfied with their purchases. Add to that how they have inventory on hand and ready to ship quickly, and you have a winning manufacturer/vendor. I ordered my mill direct from Monster and it shipped within a reasonable amount of time, arriving as I had hoped (before the next brew-day, which is always a plus). Plus, knowing that they're not just M-F, 9-5 means far more. Especially when so many of us can only brew on weekends. Knowing that I can reach out to them via email and there's a high probability that I'll get a reply over the weekend is of high value. I hadn't expected it, so it's a bonus item in my eyes.

Not to mention my Monster Mill pretty much DWARFS my brew-buddy's C&S mill. Of course, I did go with the 2" diameter rollers, and the hopper extension. I can only imagine what it would look like next to a BC mill. :eek: Plus, the hardened steel option kicks-ass... :rockin:

My Barley Crusher has died. So, I decided to go with a replacement that was a little more substantial. I ordered the MM2-2.0 with the hardened rollers and the hopper extension. Wow, what a difference. Quality product that required some assembly, but every piece was machined perfectly and fit like a glove. Mill positively chews through the grain bill in no time. I'm impressed! Rigged up a Harbor Freight 1/2" drill. It ain't purdy....but it works!

Now you see why I'm a fan of Monster. :D

I'm giving serious thought to motorizing mine. Just need to build something to hold it, and the motor, and have a spot for the bucket to sit under the mill to receive the crushed grains.

BTW, I bet these mills will last longer than we do. :D

Great info - definitely going with Monster Mill. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back