Looking for a recommended Triple Belgian Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsterguy

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

fairly new here but have been reading quite a lot!
as the title says, i am looking for a nice triple belgian extract recipe. I am able to do a small partial\mini mash as well.

Any thoughts or links to a recipe from within the forum?

What size batch are you brewing? That will help with quantities.

I’m a fan of simplicity with triples. The yeast drives the character and the hops an malt play supporting cast.

Rummage through your favorite yeast manufacturers Belgian yeast portfolio and start there. Ferment a little warmer if want more yeast expression.

I prefer traditional hops for the style. Saaz or styrian goldings. Some at 60 for bittering then a little more with 5-10 minutes remaining in the boil. Shoot for 25-35 IBU’s in total.

Fermentables should be simple as well, 85-90% Pilsen DME and 10-15% sugar (Belgian candi/invert/table sugar).

Lastly you can steep some grain. A lighter Belgian Cara malt can add a little depth. Caravienna works so does carapils.

What size batch are you brewing? That will help with quantities.

I’m a fan of simplicity with triples. The yeast drives the character and the hops an malt play supporting cast.

Rummage through your favorite yeast manufacturers Belgian yeast portfolio and start there. Ferment a little warmer if want more yeast expression.

I prefer traditional hops for the style. Saaz or styrian goldings. Some at 60 for bittering then a little more with 5-10 minutes remaining in the boil. Shoot for 25-35 IBU’s in total.

Fermentables should be simple as well, 85-90% Pilsen DME and 10-15% sugar (Belgian candi/invert/table sugar).

Lastly you can steep some grain. A lighter Belgian Cara malt can add a little depth. Caravienna works so does carapils.
Thanks for the explanation! I'll think of something and do it in my next batch, I'll keep you posted :)
I do 5.5 gallons in a fermenting bucket.
Since its a high abv, should I let it sit in secondary to age for a month? Or should I just let it sit in primary until bottling?

For a five gallon extract batch I use these fermentables:

6 lb Golden Light DME
3 lb Pilsen Light DME
1 lb Light Candi Sugar

Like the man said, keep the hops simple and the IBUs around 30. I've messed around with some different combos, but this isn't really a hop-forward style so that's probably not worth the effort. I'm not a yeast expert by any stretch, but I think this does OK with Fermentis Safale T-58 (although I can't say it gives me the banana they talk about). Predicted OG is 1.089 and FG 1.024.

Most of the peeps around here would say to skip the secondary for most styles, especially this one.

I don’t think a secondary is necessary. I use dry yeast almost exclusively but I’d have to do some research before going dry yeast for a triple. I think white labs and wyeast have the market cornered when it comes to Belgian, especially Trappist, yeast. On the rare occasion of liquid yeast use, I’m a white labs guys myself.

I don't know how good google translate works, but it might be wise/interesting to check the Belgian and Dutch homebrew forums
Google Translate does an excellent job when translating those forums to English.
I'm a frequent lurker on both forums.
Found there several excellent recipes and brewed some of them like Augustijn Blond, Gouden Carolus, and an orange Grand Cru.

Back