LODO mini mash test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ba-brewer

I'm not Zog, I'm Leroi
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is this the correct procedure for doing a LODO mini mash test?
http://forum.germanbrewing.net/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=301&sid=8c705c8a6b271ef6b8340e8b8733d9c2

I gave this a try and did get a lighter color wort for the SMB, but I got a lot of DMS. Funny thing it was only in the SMB jar. I seen DMS could be an issue with this test but I though it would effect all jars. Guessing I put lids on too soon. I did it like the post with all the pictures, heated jars open in my HLT with the lid on the kettle, I put the lids on the before cooling. Should I just leave the lids off the jar?

I waited to taste the wort until it was chilled, thinking that I should start tasting earlier.

I plan to give this another try, so any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

I think leaving the lids off is better and the only other thing is to maybe half the bisulfite addition to 50 mg/l.

Thanks for the info, @Bilsch

I was hoping to do the mini mash test again before trying a real batch, but last brew I over heated my strike water so went ahead and gave it boil and added SMB to the mash(did the same to sparge too). Will see how it turns out in a couple weeks.

I will probably rerun the mini mash test again anyways for a quick side by side tasting.

Glad I could be of help. The mini mash side by side results are very different and telling. You should have no problem determining which one is which.

Back