Larger Experience aka mistakes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnh2atl

Reaction score
If experience is learning from mistakes I have a little more experience.

I have a lager going (Munich Dunkle) that started with a 1.050 OG and now is at 1.103. I put it in the fermenter at about 60F until I saw some activity which I anticipated being bubbles. Well 3 days later no bubbles so I checked the gravity tonight and it was 1.013. Needless to say there has been some activity. It was WLP 838. The flavor is not bad in fact it is good for this point. Brew day went fine and we hit all our marks and I figured brewhouse efficiency at 74.9%.

My question is what can I expect from this point on. I dropped the temp to 50F just in case it has a little way to go. Should I just go ahead in rack it and lager it? What can I expect for a final flavor? This was going to be Christmas gifts and since we still have time should we just try it again?

Thanks.

Larger than what?

Oh lager... ;)

Never did one of those. In any case, its way too early to tell, follow the directions, and im sure it will turn out fine.

I'd lager it now. 60°F is a bit high for a lager fermentation. I'd lager this for a good while (8 weeks +) to clean up some of the esters, etc. and if you're bottling, add a little dry lager yeast to the bottling bucket because much of the yeast will have settled out with such a long lagering period.

I agree- except I'd taste for diacetyl. If there is any hint of butter, or a "slickness" on your tongue, keep it warm until that's gone. I think that a lager yeast at 60 degrees might have thrown off quite a bit of diacetyl.

If there is no diacetyl, I'd rack and lager. This beer might have some fruitiness, but it should still come out ok.

Latest posts

Back