Lager tank smells like molasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is this normal. I've had rotten egg smells before with lagers, but nothing has ever smelled this sweet. FG was slightly high at 1.012/1.014, but nothing out of the style guidelines.

Looking back it must be DMS. Crap. This is it, I am officially done with All Grain Oktoberfest lagers. I stored the wort overnight before boiling because the mash went much longer than I wished.

STOP PANICKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It ain't DMS, it ain't anything but fermentation smell....it means nothing whatsoever except it is blowing out of your beer and not ending up in your beer......Don't forget Mollases comes in two types, unsulfured AND sulfured....get it SULFUR?!?! :D

You are just smelling fermentation, nothing more.....

You can't "smell" dms until you are actually drinking the beer......

STOP PANICKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It ain't DMS, it ain't anything but fermentation smell....it means nothing whatsoever except it is blowing out of your beer and not ending up in your beer......Don't forget Mollases comes in two types, unsulfured AND sulfured....get it SULFUR?!?! :D

You are just smelling fermentation, nothing more.....

You can't "smell" dms until you are actually drinking the beer......

If I stopped panicking what type of home brewer would I be? So even if it's been off the yeast in the lager tank I still smell fermentation?

Since it isn't gonna cost me a penny or set me back in the pipeline I'll find out if it's good.

It does taste fine. A little bland, but nothing offensive.

If I stopped panicking what type of home brewer would I be?

This kind....

rdwhahbposter.jpg

:D

I never worry about, or even really judge the tastes or smells or anything about my beers till they have been AT LEAST 3 weeks in the bottle....or up to 6 or so....

Your beer has a huge journey to go and will change over time....heck 90% of my beers are 2 months minimum from grain to glass...1 month in primary and 3-4 weeks bottle conditioning...I don't even bother to taste my beer samples until bottling day...and I don't "judge" or stress out about even then...it won't taste the same at the end of the journey.....

So anything that might develop initially will be long gone by the end. That is really the point of Lagers, in order to get the cleanest profile you cold condition the beer for a long time...and stuff clears up.

Well, it'll lager for a min of 8 weeks. It depends how long it takes me to kill a keg of ESB.

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Latest posts

Back