American Amber Ale Konn's Oktoberfest Ale (Extract Recipe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Konn

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
I prefer to rehydrate my dry yeast
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
NO
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Malty?
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 65 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ room temperature
Additional Fermentation
NO
Tasting Notes
TBD
4 lbs DME
3.3 lbs LME (1 can of CBW Munich LME)

Steeping Grains
.5 lbs Honey
.5 lbs Caramunich
.5 lbs Caravienne

Hops
1 oz. Tettnang at 60 min.
1 oz Hallertau at 15 min.

I brew all grain B.I.A.B. batches and extract batches, but have been doing a lot of extract batches lately to save time. I figured I'd try to make an extract Oktoberfest themed ale, but didn't see too much on the forum, so ended up making my own recipe.

For extract recipes (including this one) I usually put the beer in my primary for 2 weeks then transfer to my secondary for another 10 days before transferring to the keg and force carbing for 48 hours.

I start boiling 5.5 gallons (which drops down to about 5 going into the primary) and then top off with a gallon of bottled water. I've noticed these amounts net just about 5 gallons going into the keg. I also like to use hop bags and add a whirlfloc tab for the last 15 minutes to help keep the beer clear.

This was a bit of a Frankenstein recipe based on what my L.H.B.S. had available, but that said my brew day went well and my hopes are high. I'll update this thread in a month or so with the results.

Back