ispindel issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElezEspana

Reaction score
Hi guys,

looking for some help with my ispindel.

It has the latest software and has been set up in Ubidots.

I have an issue with the readings though. In 22.7 degrees Celsius water, I have placed some sugar that my hydrometer reads a gravity of 1.012. However, my iSpindel is reading-1.092

the temperature is being read fine.

the tilt is 23.62 (not sure if that’s meant to be that or not)

not really sure how else to sort this?

Anyone got any ideas?

image.jpg

Could I direct you towards this thread.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/ispindle-diy-electronic-hydrometer.598187/It has been a great help to me and I've even dared contribute.
But to get you started I struggled with Ubidots and went to Brewspy.
Have you calibrated on a level surface and set to 25 degrees in distilled water as per the ispindel setup advice.
If you haven't done this before starting to calibrate your poor Ispindel won't no which way is up

The ispindel is an amazing piece of equipment and a lot simpler than the online can have you believe.

This website so helpful
https://www.opensourcedistilling.com/
after you have waded through the 41 pages on this forum by our members.

You are close but need to read the manual so to speak.

I have come across and followed the instructions from this youtube video and completed the graph and chart.

But now I have found out he didn't do any more videos other than linking to Brewfather which I am not a fan of.

You can see, the original tilt is at 22.05. I don't know how to change this and can't get the board out of the tube as it's too tight in there (it came pre-made)

1617198665736.png

22 is quite close to the recommended 25 degrees in distilled water ( it was at 20 degrees celsius ?).
I do think that you should direct your posts into the ispindle thread I mentioned above. They have a lot of experience.

It's unlikely that your sled is glued into the petling. It would only need to go in a fraction more to change the angle steeper, but 22 should be acceptable.
Given that you have calibrated it you can start using it.

I started off with the free brewspy app on my phone. Works well. Paid version just adds text alerts which you don't need at first.
You can put the formula you generated with calibration into it and it will be good to go.
Brewspy has a calibration wizard if you wanted to use that but that would mean redoing your good work.

Hi... With respect to interfacing to the iSpindel's get to point (or WiFi arrange) to enter the config menu, do not utilize your phone - utilize a PC or portable workstation to do so. My phone wouldn't interface legitimately and the as it were genuine arrangement was to utilize my portable workstation. The direct particularly notices to utilize your phone, but there's no reason why it should be a phone. No reason at all. The config menu times out after a certain sum of inertia. My phone would fair toss it off for no great reason. Once disengaged, you can't re-connect without restarting the iSpindel. For me this implies opening the cover and shorting out two pins on the beat of the PCB twice, like a twofold tap. You'll well have a reset button on yours?

Hi... With respect to interfacing to the iSpindel's get to point (or WiFi arrange) to enter the config menu, do not utilize your phone - utilize a PC or portable workstation to do so. My phone wouldn't interface legitimately and the as it were genuine arrangement was to utilize my portable workstation. The direct particularly notices to utilize your phone, but there's no reason why it should be a phone. No reason at all. The config menu times out after a certain sum of inertia. My phone would fair toss it off for no great reason. Once disengaged, you can't re-connect without restarting the iSpindel. For me this implies opening the cover and shorting out two pins on the beat of the PCB twice, like a twofold tap. You'll well have a reset button on yours?

Calibrated two synchronously ( which takes a while ) last night using the latest 7.1.2 software and didn't have a problem reconnecting, provided that you set an SSID that the ispindel can't connect to when it does time out. All I had to do was reconnect it kept the network there. I used a different phone for each one.
You do need to give them a different name or number and then you get a different Ispindel network name ie Ispindel001 and Ispindel002 will have there networks with those names.
I also fitted an always open reed switch instead of the two pins to reset. This means a magnet will make it go into setup mode, this can be done whilst floating and through the side of the fermenter. Means you can change update interval once ferment finishes to save battery if it's going to be in the fermenter a long time or reset change network etc if you move fermenter to a different location and need a different SSID and password.

Back