Is my nugget okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobonthenet

Reaction score
I have 3 hop varieties growing against the back of my detached garage. The cascade was given to me by a friend. He had a portion of his back yard overrun by them and the rhizome I planted hadn't taken. His replacement is doing just fine as you can see.
NzShbtz.jpg

The tettnanger was planted at the same time as my nugget and seems to be doing fine. I know I at some point I am supposed to trim it back. I would love some advice on that based on this photo.
BCVRmFn.jpg

Now here is my nugget. I'm very new at this but I feel like I should have more going on here. Should I be concerned about the lack of growth? It has looked like this for maybe 3 weeks. It is growing but very, very slowly.
MLqKCjp.jpg

I am growing in South East Michigan by the way. None of these are probably getting as much sunlight as they should but I don't think that is the problem as the cascade and the tettnanger seem to be doing just fine anyway.

I don't have a definitive answer but I can tell you my experience.

I planted 8 varieties 6 weeks ago and the 6 Nuggets were up in 5 days! The first to break ground, then 2-3 weeks for the other varieties to pop. The Nuggets stalled at about an inch or two tall, and have been like that now for a few weeks. Most other varieties are already shooting up and climbing twine. The Nuggets are supposed to very vigorous but maybe that is once they are established. Mine get sun all day and it's been very warm here this spring, most days are well into the 20's and nights about 10C.

Keep us posted.

There has been a development since the last time I posted so I figured it was worth coming back for an update. The little growth I had on my nugget began to wither and die, then after a big storm I came out and it was gone. I dug around and couldn't find the rhizome so I figured my nugget was lost.

A friend of mine gave me a centennial though and I planted that in place of the nugget. So I really couldn't be unhappy about the loss of the hop that I purchased. It has been maybe a week and a half since my nugget disappeared but now there is something growing up next to my new centennial that looks like it could be a new sprout from my nugget plant! I couldn't tell yet for sure this morning (it could be a weed) but I'm hoping after work the leaves will have opened up enough I can say for sure and get a photo.

Keep us posted. My Nuggets are still stalled, over 2 months now and 4 of the 6 are just little plants maybe 6 leaves and only 2" tall. Not sure why but the leaves are small crinkled and somewhat yellow. They are still alive but not looking too healthy.

GL with your new rhizome!

Back