Instant chill method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it's worth (nothing, if I'm quite honest) I've read this thread many times since the early 90's. While I've never used the technique myself, it certainly seems to work. People have been using it for decades with great results and I'd be happy to share one of Bob's pints.

If it ain't broke...

....you haven't started messing around with water chemistry yet.;)

I'll preface this by saying that I probably wouldn't do this myself mainly as I don't have a set up that would benefit from it, but it is possible that this technique is actually relatively low infection risk. RO water itself is not a particularly favorable environment for biological growth, and ice made with RO would arguably be even less favorable. There is a certainly an 'ick' factor with potential holes in the bag of ice and whatever unknowns at the factory or transport to the ice freezers that probably never get cleaned at the store. But if we put that aside and look at the situation the OP is putting the ice in, the risk may be quite low. Thought process:
  1. Frozen RO water should be relatively free of microbes in the internal portion of the ice.
  2. There is a risk of surface contamination on the ice. However if the following is true:
    1. If ice is kept frozen up until the point of putting in a fermenter
    2. Wort is immediately dumped into the fermenter (not glass)
    3. There is not an extreme excess of ice
...Then the wort itself should pasteurize the exterior of the ice as it absorbs the heat from the wort. It takes 0.05 seconds at 204F to pasteurize, 0.1 seconds at 201F, and 1.0 seconds at 191F.​
It at least seems feasible and combined with @Barley_Bob 's practical experience with it definitely shouldn't be dismissed outright. @Barley_Bob, It might be interesting to know how quick the temperature drops if you held a sanitized thermometer in the wort and stirred with a sanitized spoon.

I work for a brewery (cellarman/ assistant brewer) and when I do homebrew on my days off I want to do it the easiest way possible. I too do a concetrated wort and cool with bagged ice to save time. The brewmaster approves (the chance of infection or off taste is negligible)

I used ice on extract brews too, made brew day a lot easier.

Like the OP, many batches, no infections. The empirical evidence is that is safe an effective for extract brewing.

And of course no one uses a dirty bag of ice with holes. Just like any other ingredient, you inspect the packaging before buying it. That is a silly argument.

I could never bring myself to do that. I would be concerned with contaminating my wort with the ice and/or manipulating the end results flavor or ABV. Whats so bad about the copper coil? I used one for 12 years. Chilled 10 gallon batches in 45 minutes. I pumped ice water through it. Now days I use a chill plate. Chills 10 gallons in 25-30 minutes. A bit pricey but worth it for me.

Whats so bad about the copper coil?

I agree. It takes me 22 min to chill my 5 gal batches with a copper coil, a cooler, a cheap pond pump and the same ice you are throwing into your wort, all of which I can set up during my boil time. Why would I cut corners to save about 10 minutes?

Time and cost. The chiller will never be as cheap as bags of ice, even over many batches. And while 22 minutes isn't a long cool time, there still is setup, sanitation, and storage to account for.

I hesitate to recommend this practice to some specific group. I think anyone can do this and benefit, and I'm glad to hear it's worked for others. I will say, that I think there's tremendous value for the new brewer who hasn't invested in a lot of gear (for whatever reason).

Also - There are a ton of threads out there where guys say they've started brewing to save money on beer. In all of those threads, members jump in to say it's not true and that they'll ultimately wind up spending more. There's no reason for that to be the case. Homebrew costs me $0.25 to $0.75 per bottle. One important way I accomplish that is by not splurging on equipment like a nice chiller.

I brew like once a month. Sometimes more. Someone brewing several times a month could reasonably make up the cost of a chiller (and other equipment). The casual brewer won't.

Time: I don't need to drive to the store to make beer.
Cost: Realistically, what are the chances of getting out of the store without a pile of soda and doritos too?
I haven’t bought Doritos or anything like them in 20+ years

Time: I don't need to drive to the store to make beer.
Cost: Realistically, what are the chances of getting out of the store without a pile of soda and doritos too?

Most people go to the store regularly (whether that's for soda and Doritos or for something else). If you don't go to the grocery store, this process isn't for you.

If you forget to go to the store and you don't have a chiller or a bag of ice, you can cover your wort (in the kettle or fermenter) and let it naturally cool overnight (outside or in another cool place). This works better in winter. Or you can do what @Bobby_M suggested and make your own block of sanitary ice.

Bottom line - you don't need a chiller at all. And a fermenter full of ice is a crazy fast way to get your wort to pitching temp.

Last edited:
You only buy the chiller once and it doesn't have to be copper. Stainless works too.

Back