Input on my first saison recipe please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
I haven't plugged the amounts into beersmith yet so these are just my approximations for the grains. I'd really like thoughts or suggestions for the hop bill. I want to keep this true to style as far as Ibus so 20-40 max. Shooting for an og of 1.050-55 with a fg in the 1.004-8 range as my goal is something in the 6.2-6.6 Abv range. Aiming for a real citrusy saison with nice aromatics and quenchable. So here's my thoughts and I'm open to anything if there's stuff I need to add or delete.

Pilsner
White wheat malt
Vienna
Flaked oats prob 1/4lb - 1/2lb max
1 lb Clear Belgian candi sugar
2oz Sweet orange peel at 10min left in boil

Hops I have Amarillo 7.2% aa, Nelson 12%aa, mandarina Bavaria 7.2%aa

Amarillo @30 min
Mandarina @ 10
Nelson @ 5
Nelson/mandarina/Amarillo hop stand

2oz dry hop

Yeast: wyeast 3711 fermented in high 60's for 2-3 days then placed in closet upstairs and let it rise as high as it'll go to finish out.

That's it. Love to hear thoughts.

I really like Nelson as a late addition in a saison. The lemony notes play well off the saison yeast. That and the hopstand should help get the citrusy character you want.

You'll probably want to keep the flaked oats on the lower end of the range so it doesn't add too much body.

I really like Nelson as a late addition in a saison. The lemony notes play well off the saison yeast. That and the hopstand should help get the citrusy character you want.

You'll probably want to keep the flaked oats on the lower end of the range so it doesn't add too much body.

Cool. That's my idea is to pull out the lemon notes out the Nelson and the tangerine/ citrus out of the mandarina Bavaria. I'll def keep the oats prob in the 1/4lb range maybe I'll just drop them completely since I'll have the wheat.

I would recommend keeping the IBUs closer to 20 than 40. I've made 3 saisons now, the most enjoyable one was at 28IBU, the least was 40IBU. The dry body really amplifies bitterness IMO.

Cheers

I would recommend keeping the IBUs closer to 20 than 40. I've made 3 saisons now, the most enjoyable one was at 28IBU, the least was 40IBU. The dry body really amplifies bitterness IMO.

Cheers

Ok thanks very good to know. I def want this to be in style not just an overly hopped pale ale with Saison yeast.

Shoot for a BU:GU ratio of .487 if you want it to style. So if you end up with OG of 1.050 then 24 IBU's is perfect. (50/24=.48)

2 oz of orange peel is quite a lot. If it was my brew I would cut it down to an ounce or less. Also I would use the bitter orange peel rather than the sweet. Just my opinion.

Shoot for a BU:GU ratio of .487 if you want it to style. So if you end up with OG of 1.050 then 24 IBU's is perfect. (50/24=.48)

2 oz of orange peel is quite a lot. If it was my brew I would cut it down to an ounce or less. Also I would use the bitter orange peel rather than the sweet. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll def keep the ratio in mind when I scale this in beersmith and I'll drop down to 1oz Orange peel, I tend to overdue things so I'm glad you pointed this out with the Orange peel.

Latest posts

Back