Saison Indian Summer Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamfein

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Belle Saison
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
26 Litres
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
only sampled hydrometer, dry, clovey, spicey
Kegged up this recipe yesterday, thought i would share it with ye.

5kg Maris Otter
1kg Pale Wheat
500g Crystal 30
300g honey added at flameout

Zest of 4 Navel Oranges added at flameout

33g Styrian Golding for 60 Mins
17g Styrian Golding for 30 Mins

Mashed at 152 for an hour,

Fermented about 25 Degrees Celsius for the full 8 days.

I was very suprised by the attenuation level, 93% is very impressive.

Ill be tasting it this weekend after 5 days carbonating.

Thanks for posting your recipe, haven't tried the Belle Saison yeast yet, but putting it on my list of things to do. I'm thinking I'll split the batch and let one go at ambient room temp and hold the other half below 65 and ramp up at the end. Then bottle each individually and blend some half and half.

Interesting idea, you can then see how the temperature changes the flavour of the finished beer.

this is my first time using the yeast, i read a little bit about it, people said not to be afraid of the temperature.

The aroma is similar to WB-06, but the finished beer is alot drier than that yeast.

I found that with Belle Saison, I got clove and bubblegum out of the hydrometer sample at bottling (after about 4 weeks in primary fermenter), but it dissipated by the time I drank the first bottle (about 3 weeks later). This was fermented at 73 F room temperature.

The next batch I made with an overpitched mason jar of yeast harvested from the first batch did not have any clove/bubblegum at bottling time. It had a nice, classic saison flavor. It was fermented at 80 F room temperature.

Although I did recently taste a kegged saison with BS (and Brett), and it was almost like a Hefeweizen. Be prepared for the taste to change over time.

I added a picture after 10 days in the Keg, turned out really nice.

dry, spicy, clovey... all saison type attributes.

Cheers

Saison.jpg

Back