I roasted pumpkin with butter, can I still use it in my must?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan O

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a few sugar pumpkins 🎃🎃🎃 this weekend to roast for a pumpkin cyser recipe that I want to try.
Preparation was simple;
I cut the pumpkin into 1" slices, then they were coated in melted butter, then I added some light brown sugar cinnamon and fresh ground nutmeg. Roasted until soft & smelling delicious.
My concern lies with the butter.

Should I roast new pumpkins & use the pumpkin that was roasted with butter for pie filling?

Mind you, it was a very thin coat, but, I'm not certain how that will play out with the must.
Of course, in typical fashion for me, the afterthought of the butter in the must didn't hit me until the day after I did the roasting.😬😖🥴.
Thankfully, the pumpkin is in the freezer and not mixed with anything yet, so, if I need to redo the pumpkin, they're still available in stores & I haven't wasted anything yet.
Worse case is, I'm making a pumpkin pie this year for Thanksgiving (this would be the first pumpkin pie I've ever attempted, but, the pumpkin tasted great when I made it so I am confident it would be good)

Either way, any advice would be greatly appreciated, though, I suspect I already answered my concerns.
Thanks, in advance, for anyone who chimes in.
Happy meading 😎

Last edited:
If it were me, I would say no way...would just roast new pumpkins all over again.
Thank you @jdauria .
I was afraid of that, but, like I said, nothing has been wasted. Pumpkin pie for that batch of pumpkin & a new round of pumpkins tonight.
Thanks for the input.
Happy meading 😎

Last edited:
I would say do not use them, but you could try refrigerating it to solidify the fats which will accumulate at the top, then skim them off...but there's no guarantee you'll get all of it out

Thank you @Ty520 . I already decided to make pies out of that batch of pumpkin. I roasted 4 more sugar pumpkins & got just over 6.25 lbs after removing the skins. Pretty sure I'll be starting this with 2 separate yeasts this weekend to see which I like better in the end. One will be the BOMM yeast, the other will be either 71B or EC1118.

Happy meading :cool:

Last edited:
not sure why...something to do with the yeast I think. plus I don't think fats/oils mix well with wort anyway.

The main reason to leave it out is that pumpkin flesh itself has nothing to do with the flavor of pumpkinated beverages. It's the spices alone.
It's not so much the flavor that the pumpkin contributes, but, the mouthfeel it helps to lend to.
My concern when I asked for advice was the butter I roasted them with.
I have since roasted new sugar pumpkins without the butter addition & will be starting this Pumpkin cyser Tuesday (or @ least a loose rendition of it with my own tweaks).

Back