How to rig up a fan for my keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years back I posted some traces of temperatures I recorded with some datalogging equipment. Unfortunately those images seem to be gone and I can't find the originals.

As I recall, the cycle times did vary between air temp and immersion or insulated surface temp. But, as one might guess, the liquid temp didn't swing much at all because of the relatively large mass.

Maybe I'll record all that again one day, if for no other reason than just because.
You do have to set the controller to lower tolerances when you're controlling by liquid temperature reading. I use a 2° spread for liquid in a 3° spread for air/ambient.

I can buy into a smaller window for controlling by liquid temp.

I went out to 5 degrees, but I don't recall if it was +/-5 or +/-2.5 when doing air temp to try to reduce compressor cycles and the liquid temp was still quite stable as I recall.

I like to tape/tie/rubberband the temp probe to the lower part of a keg, maybe with a little foam over it.

I like to tape/tie/rubberband the temp probe to the lower part of a keg, maybe with a little foam over it.
Yep, it’s what I do in my keezer.
1705440194821.jpeg

Two things are important: good coupling between probe and vessel wall, and good isolation from the chamber temperature. I use a 4"x6" inch-thick closed cell foam pad over the probe, and pin everything firmly in place with a 2" wide velcro strap. I use the same technique for monitoring my carboy fermentors and corny kegs.

Also, somewhere in the catacombs of HBT there is a post of mine showing temperature plots with my keezer compressor state similar to the one below taken just now...

keezer_plot_16jan2024.jpg

... showing what happened when the controlling sensor was strapped to a keg, strapped to a 12 oz bottle of water, and hanging in the middle of the keezer, with the cycle times going from the 6~7 hours shown here, to around an hour, and then to roughly 30 minutes...

Cheers!

Back