how long can I store rhizomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
I scored a couple rhizomes from a friend that are vacuum sealed with a wet paper towel in them. I live in Northern Va so we get cold but we're often above the freezing mark. I have read it's recommended to get them in the ground asap but I've also read they store well in the fridge as long as they're vacuum sealed with a towel. I probably can't plant them in the ground for another few weeks and I've been storing them for a week already.

Should I plant them outside and put mulch or a pot over them to keep them from the cold? Should I plant them in a pot and keep it in a sunny window? Or can they be stored for a few more weeks in the fridge until I can plant them outside and not have to worry about them freezing?

I have 5 other 4 year plants that I started in pots and seemed to do OK outside but I planted them after last frost.

If you have a temp controlled place to put them , shove them in a bucket of soil and let them get started. Then when the weather cooperates you can set them out in their permanent place. We're (Northern Alabama) getting tons of rain right now and weather says our spring is 3 weeks early . Last year I put my rhizomes in the ground mid March .

If you have a temp controlled place to put them , shove them in a bucket of soil and let them get started. Then when the weather cooperates you can set them out in their permanent place. We're (Northern Alabama) getting tons of rain right now and weather says our spring is 3 weeks early . Last year I put my rhizomes in the ground mid March .

Thanks.
That's when I was planning on planting them outside as well. I guess in the meantime I'll put them in a pot and leave them in the sun room with the rest of the plants.

I stored 5 rhizomes in my fridge for about 2 1/2 months. Each was stored in it's own bag and was fairly damp. Of the 5 planted, only 3 survived. I don't recommend doing this but they are cheap enough that I wasn't too concerned.

Thanks.
That's when I was planning on planting them outside as well. I guess in the meantime I'll put them in a pot and leave them in the sun room with the rest of the plants.
Do you have an appropriate place to plant them with a robust trellis? Nows the time to do that before you plant .they will grow quickly . Last year was my first time with growing hops. Our weather doesn't cooperate with the traditional vertical trellis so i experimented with a lateral overhead cable across a couple 4x4 supports and it did wonderfully. 3 rhizomes and a single 1 yr old plant, yielded over 2 pounds of whole hops in 2 pickings.

Generally, anything that's alive will require oxygen. Dormant plants will require less, but will still require some.

I've not attempted to vacuum seal a rhizome, but it doesn't sound like a good idea to me. They also need to be kept humid, not flooded.

Rhizomes can theoretically keep a while, but they aren't always viable and some may just never grow no matter how much care you give them.

Do you have an appropriate place to plant them with a robust trellis? Nows the time to do that before you plant .they will grow quickly . Last year was my first time with growing hops. Our weather doesn't cooperate with the traditional vertical trellis so i experimented with a lateral overhead cable across a couple 4x4 supports and it did wonderfully. 3 rhizomes and a single 1 yr old plant, yielded over 2 pounds of whole hops in 2 pickings.
That's awesome! Decent haul from first year plants.
Yes, I bought a trellis and will put it in our pollinator garden. I think these hops will out grow the trellis but I don't mind keeping it simple and training a few bines on each side the whole way around. I have one that grows up into our tree house window and another one I train horizontally on the side of my shed. They will pretty much grow anyway you can train them.

Latest posts

Back