How about this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrKloot

Reaction score
I'm planning on making a white IPA infused with brambles and clove.
This is a concept of my recipe, what do you guys think about it?

ingredients:
1000 grams of dingemans pale ale malt
300 grams of dingemans pilsen malt
20 grams of saaz hops (flowers)
2.6 grams of safbrew specialty ale yeast T-58
150 grams per litre of brambles (frozen until night before use)
1 piece of clove
30 grams of table sugar for priming

specifications:
Yield: 5L
original target gravity: 1056-1065
target gravity: 1010-1016
abv goal: 6-8%
ibu goal: 30-50
boil time: 60 minutes
rinsing water: 2.5L~2.7L

brewing process:

Mashing:
- i need advice on this, since i am not sure how to determine the temperature and amount of steps to mash this combination of malts at.

Boiling:
- my aim is to boil for 60 minutes and to throw in 20g of saaz hops at the start.
- after 55 minutes have passed i will throw in 1 piece of clove.
- before cooling i will take out the clove.

Cooling:
- i aim to cool the wort to about 22 degrees

Pitching yeast:
- i will re-hydrate the dry yeast by placing it in water of 27 degrees for 15 minutes, then stirring it and leaving it again for 15 minutes after which i will pitch it into the wort.

Primary fermentation:
- i plan to leave the wort in a glass fermentation jar for 2 weeks.

Secondary fermentation:
- after the primary, i want to transfer the wort out of its container and into a new clean one so as to leave most of the trub behind.
- in the secondary glass container there will be a hop sock filled with 750 grams of defrosted brambles.
- i handpicked these brambles from a big healthy bush next to a major river in my area, so i know there has been no use of detergents or other chemical agents.
- i plan to leave the brambles in for 1 week.

Transfer to bottle:
- i plan to transfer the beer from the secondary glass container to a stainless steel pan, through a siphon.
- in this stainless steel pan, i will prepare a priming solution containing 30 grams of table sugar and tapwater.
- i will then transfer the beer into brown glass bottles and leave it at room temperature for 2 weeks.

In my experience, 'brambles' is a loose colloquial term for low, prickly bushes. Are your pickings something in particular?

What's your inspiration for this recipe?

In my experience, 'brambles' is a loose colloquial term for low, prickly bushes. Are your pickings something in particular?

What's your inspiration for this recipe?
my bad, i meant blackberries.. english isn't my first language.

I didn't really have a plan to brew beer using blackberries beforehand, but i encountered a very large bush filled with ripe ones while on a fishing trip. i was just wondering if it would be possible to use them in beer and how that would be like.
I wanted to brew a beer for my colleague and me, and since it was his idea to go fishing there i left it up to him to decide which type of beer we should try to infuse the blackberries into.

Looks tasty.

As for mashing, you could keep it simple and do a single infusion. Mash temp depends on how much body you want the beer to have. For a medium body, somewhere around 66-67C would work.

Unless you particularly like clove, maybe remove that and add some crushed coriander perhaps?

Looks tasty.

As for mashing, you could keep it simple and do a single infusion. Mash temp depends on how much body you want the beer to have. For a medium body, somewhere around 66-67C would work.

Unless you particularly like clove, maybe remove that and add some crushed coriander perhaps?
how would one go about using crushed koriander? and how much would you suggest using for a batch of 5L?

also going single infusion would mean for me that i had to mash at 66~67C for 60 minutes then?

how would one go about using crushed koriander? and how much would you suggest using for a batch of 5L?

also going single infusion would mean for me that i had to mash at 66~67C for 60 minutes then?

I used about 1/2 oz. (14g) in 20L of Witbier, which was just about right for my tastes. Maybe 3-4g in your 5L batch.

And yes on the single infusion.

I used about 1/2 oz. (14g) in 20L of Witbier, which was just about right for my tastes. Maybe 3-4g in your 5L batch.

And yes on the single infusion.
when did you add the koriander? during boiling? if so for how long?

I'll update later when the beer is finished, see how it tasted.

Last edited:
Back