Help with a persistent off flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fernando B

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I´m new in this forum and in the home brewing world too. I have done 5 batches of three different styles, but all of them had a unpleasant flavor. In this point I think that is important to say that in all batches, when I open the fermenter after 2 weeks of fermentation the beer taste great, the flavor is present when I open a beer 2 weeks later after bottling. (I use an auto siphon and a filling bucket to bottle my beer) In the first batch i thought it was because of contamination, but in the next batches I increased hygiene but the flavor was still there. Discarding contamination causes I thought in oxidation. In the first batch I was completely not careful with oxidation because I was not aware of this problem but in the next batches I was more careful, but the flavor was still there.

Since i´m a beginner and I don´t know exactly how an oxidized beer taste, therefore I intentionally filled a bottle to its half. For my surprise, 2 weeks later that beer taste like my first batch, a mixture between the flavor i´m talking about and like a fruit starting to rot.

But enough tale, here is the experience that I want to share and ask for opinion. Few days ago I took a beer for drink and I noticed that the cap was not put correctly. When I opened it no gas came up and when I served it in a glass, did no foam. Then when I drank a gulp, for my intrigue the flavor was not there, not at all. I guess that the flavor escape with the gas. I have read about off flavors, but not yet something similar. Later I realize that if I serve a beer with “violence” and making pretty much foam, like the 90% of this flavor disappear.

I have begun to suspect about the priming sugar. I have been using cane sugar, but from the kitchen of my house, nothing specific. One of you guys knows or have a clue of what is happening? Or knows an off flavor that disappear with the gas?

Here is some details for describe more the flavor and what i´m doing. I describe the flavor like something old, hidden in an old drawer for too long, it’s pretty dominant. Curiously this match with the description of oxidized, but when I did it intentionally the flavor was of fruit starting to rot AND this flavor with the same intensity as always. I´ve been using all different kinds of malts, hops, original gravities, but only one yeast, S-04. The flavor is still there 2 months later, then I discard “green beer”.

At this moment I have in bottle 2 more batches, one with different yeast (S-33) and one bottled with a new accessory for reduce even more possibly oxidation. My next experiment will be with corn dextrose as priming sugar.

Sorry for the long story, all kind of help will be very appreciated.

It would be helpful to know more details. What water do you use, hoew do you sanitize, do you do any fermentation temperature control, are there any other additions to the water or boil?

Does it age out over a period of a few months, or does it remain, or perhaps even get worse with time?

It would be helpful to know more details. What water do you use, hoew do you sanitize, do you do any fermentation temperature control, are there any other additions to the water or boil?
The water i use is the water of my house, i have the water report and is very low in minerals, very pure indeed. In the first batches i do not add salts, just a little of calcium carbonate for a stout, but in the last one (still in bottle) i put some calcium chloride and calcium sulfate until reach standart levels of this minerals. Unfortunately i have not drunk them yet.

For sanitation, first of all, i wash with soap, rinse, then i sanitize with a sodium carbonate disinfectant, wait, rinse, then i apply Star San.

I have zero control of fermentation temperatures, and the salts additions only in the mash. In the boil just hops.

Does it age out over a period of a few months, or does it remain, or perhaps even get worse with time?
The first batch i think that get worse over time, the "rotten fruit flavor", but in the others i think that remain the same. I say i think because i´m not an expert, just my opinion.

Does your water have chlorine or chloramines added as bactericides? Is your water high in alkalinity?
Has chlorine, but the water report show a "free residual chlorine" of 0.5 ppm, even so, i let the water rest from the previous day.

And has 72 ppm of alcalinity.

Has chlorine, but the water report show a "free residual chlorine" of 0.5 ppm, even so, i let the water rest from the previous day.

And has 72 ppm of alcalinity.

I would add 1/4 of a crushed Campden tablet to each 5 gallons of your water to remove the chlorine.

Are you acidifying to eliminate the alkalinity?

I would add 1/4 of a crushed Campden tablet to each 5 gallons of your water to remove the chlorine.

Are you acidifying to eliminate the alkalinity?
About the pH i have been using the pH mash calculator of Brewers Friend and checking it with pH strips, at around 5.3-5.4.

Back