Hard Lemonade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update from original. The red star worked like a champ for 3 weeks finishing at 1.000. I just took it out of fermenter had a very bitter pint and bottled the rest for carbing. Not going to sweeten this batch but maybe the next. I used the yeast slurry to start some lemon lime type. I'll look into back sweetening a bit. Any advice?

Update from original. The red star worked like a champ for 3 weeks finishing at 1.000. I just took it out of fermenter had a very bitter pint and bottled the rest for carbing. Not going to sweeten this batch but maybe the next. I used the yeast slurry to start some lemon lime type. I'll look into back sweetening a bit. Any advice?
I'm looking to stop my S04 batch in the 1.01 - 1.02 range....via cold crash & rack back into 1gal jugs...just like I do my ciders. Will probably add some fruit juice concentrates to a few...as I like a variety of flavors.

Cheers & good luck

1.080 nominal OG. As for how long = as long as it takes! Not to be facetious, but it does seem to vary some. I have had it done in 5-6 days easy. I have had it take two weeks. Seems like the yeastie beasties will do what ever they feel like in all that acid. I have a batch right now, that is 7 days in and it is 1.030ish. I expect to be there in a couple days. It is for a party coming up quite soon, and i am going to simply add some campden and sorbate to the fermentor and stick it in the fridge and serve it right from the spigot - Experience says there won't be any left to bottle after the shindig.
How'd this batch finish up for ya? CTL rocking it? [emoji41][emoji111]

At the 3week mark my batch is at SG 1.023 (ABV ~7.73%) - another day or so & will toss in fridge to cold crash. Getting airlock bubbles in low teens secs.

[emoji111]

A friend of mine makes several variations of hard lemonade at his brewery in SoCal. He did quite a few trial and error experiments in order to come up with a good process. Here's the trick, Start with sugar water. I think he was mixing up the lemonade concentrate half strength and adding pureed green apples for yeast health. He stopped the fermentation by cold crashing around 1.025 leaving it somewhat sweet, then adding the rest of the concentrate. He was fermenting with Nottingham ale yeast.

I have done this myself many times and have experimented quite a bit. Nottingham ale yeast and ec-1118 tend to work well. You can do a staggered addition of DAP as well. If your going to put it on tap like I do and drink it fresh then stay away from nutrient like Fermaid K or you will taste it in the product.

Recently I've been experimented with making a double strength batch, fermented with ec-1118 and diluting it in half with a mixture of water, sugar and flavor. I feel that this method has yielded results that most closely resemble commercial hard lemonade type products with no yeast character or off flavors. This method allows you complete control of flavor and the ability to experiment with flavors. I like mine a little less sweet than most hard lemonades. You can work with fresh quality lemons or powered lemonade mix if you want. Margarita hard lemonade can be amazing and tropical flavors are great. I've been contemplating a key lime pie variation lately.

I have been kegging it and keeping it cold without stabilizing with sorbate. If you don't have the ability to keep it cold you will need to stabilize and drink it still which is something that I wouldn't do because I don't think it would be very tasty.

A friend of mine makes several variations of hard lemonade at his brewery in SoCal. He did quite a few trial and error experiments in order to come up with a good process. Here's the trick, Start with sugar water. I think he was mixing up the lemonade concentrate half strength and adding pureed green apples for yeast health. He stopped the fermentation by cold crashing around 1.025 leaving it somewhat sweet, then adding the rest of the concentrate. He was fermenting with Nottingham ale yeast.

I have done this myself many times and have experimented quite a bit. Nottingham ale yeast and ec-1118 tend to work well. You can do a staggered addition of DAP as well. If your going to put it on tap like I do and drink it fresh then stay away from nutrient like Fermaid K or you will taste it in the product.

Recently I've been experimented with making a double strength batch, fermented with ec-1118 and diluting it in half with a mixture of water, sugar and flavor. I feel that this method has yielded results that most closely resemble commercial hard lemonade type products with no yeast character or off flavors. This method allows you complete control of flavor and the ability to experiment with flavors. I like mine a little less sweet than most hard lemonades. You can work with fresh quality lemons or powered lemonade mix if you want. Margarita hard lemonade can be amazing and tropical flavors are great. I've been contemplating a key lime pie variation lately.

I have been kegging it and keeping it cold without stabilizing with sorbate. If you don't have the ability to keep it cold you will need to stabilize and drink it still which is something that I wouldn't do because I don't think it would be very tasty.
Cool stuff......adding kegs is my next project! [emoji111] Looking forward to this maiden voyage batch...tasted great today...albeit tad bit sweet still at 1.023

Cold crashed at 1.016 [emoji111]

Racked back into 1gal containers & will be adding some 100% fruit juice concentrates (no H20) to a few.

Cheers & thanks for the great feedback [emoji111]

This is some very tasty stuff....even on the tart side at SG almost 1.02

Will definitely make again...probably go straight lemonade concentrate next time...no lime.

Last edited:
...my first batch of CrazyTrain Hard Lemonade...

...the last half gal was basically sediment

Cheers!
[emoji111]
0604181404a.jpeg
Screenshot_2018-06-02-12-59-56.jpeg

Back