Saison Grisette

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lan_dry

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
M29 - French Saison
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
2,4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 25C
Tasting Notes
Very light and crisp grisette with nice yeasty spiciness
I wanted to brew a grisette for a long time. It is a style that I have grown to love in recent years as I craved VERY pintable styles. I also like the crispness and dry mouthfeel of local breweries offerings, someting I wanted to emulate in my own recipes. I also wanted to take the "modern-traditonnal" road with this one with addition of new-old-word aroma hops added in the whirlpool and dry-hop. Finally, the rarity of grisette recipes online compelled me to share mine!

Water:
I tried to keep the chloride/sulfate ratio on the dry side, but not too much as to avoid an overly thin mouthfeel.

Grain bill:
2,1 kg Pilsner
500g flaked wheat
500g malted wheat
200g carafoam
~100g rice hulls

(Pumping up the wheat helps compensate for the low ABV and thinner mouthfeel associated with such a light grain bill.)

Mash: single step, 60min @ 65C

Boil :
30 min - 30g challenger (I had laying around)
Hop stand ~30min @ 75C - 25g mandarina bavaria

Fermentation :
Cool to 20C and pitch yeast. I used M29 for the first time and I am quite pleased with it. Other saison strains such as Belle could work great. After pitching, I let it free-rise to 24-25 and keep it there until complete.

Dry hop on day #7 - 25g mandarina bavaria

Packaging :
Kegged and conditioned on day #10. I cold crash in the keg and I'm fine with the first pint being murky.

Tasting notes :
After a week in the keg, I must say I am quite pleased with the results. As envisionned, the mouthfeel is quite thin, but the robustness of the yeast aromas make up for it. Notes i got from M29 are strongly phenolic : pepper and cloves with a hint of fruit (apricot maybe?). Maybe I also got some of the spiciness from the 30min addition of challenger. Hops notes are lightly citrussy and overall blend nicely with the yeast's spiciness. I will certainly brew it again, but maybe raising the mash temperature to 67 could help achieve a rounder mouthfeel. This batch (and this style) is not very much hop-forward, maybe next summer i'll try a version with stronger dry hop for a juicier feel!

Cheers!
IMG_20221010_162825.jpg

Back