Gluten Free Oat Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skleice

Silly Acts Brewing
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find anything, but is there GF Oat Malt available? Or a good oat malt substitute?

I'm a celiac, so I can't risk the cross contamination...boooo

I was doing some research last week on oat malt and ran across this article: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/j.2050-0416.2011.tb00487.x/pdf

It says that people with celiac disease can tolerate oat malt. Is that not true? I don't have celiac disease, but have several friends and family that live the GF lifestyle so I'd like to make something for them from time to time (other than cider).

I think oat malt itself is fine. It's just the cross contamination from all of the other grains that are most likely produced in the same place is no bueno.

I think grouse malts oats and sells it through glutenfreehomebrewing.org
Check them out. Oats are gluten free but I think I remember hearing that oats are historically a rotation crop with grains like wheat that have gluten, so a lot of oat products are not gluten free because of the cross contamination. Now there are oat farmers that don't rotate with gluten grains. Bob's Redmill and others presumably get their grain from these farmers.

I think oat malt itself is fine. It's just the cross contamination from all of the other grains that are most likely produced in the same place is no bueno.

That makes sense... I didn't even consider that. Thanks!

I think grouse malts oats and sells it through glutenfreehomebrewing.org
Check them out. Oats are gluten free but I think I remember hearing that oats are historically a rotation crop with grains like wheat that have gluten, so a lot of oat products are not gluten free because of the cross contamination. Now there are oat farmers that don't rotate with gluten grains. Bob's Redmill and others presumably get their grain from these farmers.

Yeah, I checked Grouse but they just sell GF rolled oats. Oh well, it's just an ingredient I will skip.

Skleice, unfortunately I think Thomas Faucett may be one of the only maltser on the the planet that does malted oats and as you noted they are not going to be Certified Gluten Free and more than likely cross-contaminted. As a substitute I would use Bobs gluten free rolled oats and toast at 275° until fragrant, takes about 30 minutes. That should give you some of the toasty-maltyness.

Latest posts

Back