GF brewing cross-contamination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadu

Reaction score
Hi Team, I just brewed my first GF beer and are really happy with the results.

I made it for a friend who has just been diagnosed as celiac.

My question is this - what precautions need to be taken to prevent cross contamination when brewing is a brewery that also brews normal beer?

I fermented this in a brand new mini-keg, using dry yeast to avoid malt in the starter. I need to bottle this from keg soon and was hoping to use my bottling gun - which I also use for normal beer.

Is this going to present problems if I give the bottling gun and beer lines a thorough cleaning beforehand? Likewise if I wanted to keg the beer, could I keg it in one of my normal-beer kegs, using the same taps I use for normal beer (assuming beer lines and taps are well cleaned)?

What about fermenting in plastic that has also been used for regular brewing? Is that concern?

As this stage I'm brewing from GF extract so I don't need to worry about getting a second grain mill.

Thanks in advance.

As I understand it, the main items to be concerned about are anything soft, like liquid lines on on kegs. Otherwise, things just need to be cleaned really well. For example, if you will serve out of a tap, take it apart and make sure all of the internals are cleaned. Hard plastic, I'm not really sure about. I'm not really an expert on this topic, since I've never been doing gluten and gluten free at the same time, so hopefully someone else on here with more knowledge will pipe in.

Probably the biggest source of cross contamination is a grain mill but you don't have to worry about that. Some say that plastics and teflon hold and release gluten molecules, but I am skeptical if the amount can be anything close to cross contamination that you get unavoidably in the rest of the world. Anything metal can just be cleaned. As stated in the previous post, anything soft or plastic that has prolonged contact with the beer would need to be cleaned well or dedicated for the GF brews. If you want to be extra sure, just have a dedicated fermenter if you ferment in better bottles or plastic buckets. I would say anything that has only momentary contact with the beer like a bottling gun would be no problem as long as it is cleaned reasonably well.

Back