General help with fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snitcherwitcher

Reaction score
:eek: Im struggling with my 2nd fermination. Its my first batch of cider, Ive got 7 gallons. I just need a little advice on what to do as it took me along 6 hours to press the juice - and I dont want to get it wrong now.

Ive let the juice rest with campden tablets for 48 hours, and given it 10 days of fermination with 1 packet of champagne yeast, and a little pectose.

Its finished its first fermination, but is bland, tastes un-alcoholic, and Im worried...OG is about 1005...

Some websites have suggusted adding sugar (1/2 teaspoon per pint) and fermenting it again by adding another packet of yeast. Im dubious to do this as it just doesnt seem right...

...Any ideas?

I've added some citris acid, and can blend the taste later - but I want some alcohol.!

Pls help

First time cider brewer.... :eek:

Your original gravity should have been around 1040-1045 for straight apple juice. Did you mean the current, post-ferment, gravity is 1005? I routinely see final gravities in ciders of 995-998, so I'd say it isn't done. Champagne yeast isn't the fastest thing around.

1/2 teaspoon per pint is for priming, it won't change the flavor or ABV. A pound of cane in 7 gallons would raise the ABV about 0.8 percent. I've used as much as 1/2 pound per gallon, that adds 3% to the final ABV.

Back