FIrst time using Kviek

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmo Peach

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have tried Kviek to brew a Pale ale for the first time. It was the dried package LaBrew Voss. Can you harvest yeast from beer that was fermented with dry yeast.

I tried my own recipe. I am not to sure about it, as I am not very adept yet at all grain brewing. I am wondering if I added to much nop flavor.

5Lbs, Pilsner malt
3Lbs 2 Row malt
1/2 lb. Crystal 30L
1/4 lb. acidulated malt

Mashed 1 hr @ 149f
mash out 10 min @ 170f

Magnum hops 13.8 aa @60 min
Saaz hops 3.5aa @ 30

pitched KViek at 70f

fermentin at about 80f
Starting Gravity 1.044
Water from Natural spring (Chalk Spring is it's name)

Hi Elmo. Is that one ounce each of hops? Even after years of brewing, I use online calculators to check my recipes. There are many, but I find Brewer's Friend easy to use, it shows what styles match your brew and how close to your chosen style.
You can certainly harvest slurry from a batch started with dry yeast.
If you haven't had a lot of brewing experience, I suggest using proven recipes from HomeBrewTalk, or from reliable authors. I adjust those recipes after brewing and tasting and learning the contributions of different ingredients.

This link has all the kveik yeasts and gives info on what type of harvesting is most appropriate and when to do it. Farmhouse yeast registry
The first one, Sigmund is Voss. You can see it is best to bottom crop and to do so at around the 3.5 day mark.
I have done this successfully with the lallemand dried voss. I just dumped the trub into a mason jar and kept it in the fridge. One harvest lasted me close to a year and multiple subsequent brews. I would just sanitize a spoon and grab a spoonful of slurry whenever I needed it for a brew. Lots of people have also successfully dried the slurry and stored it as dry yeast again, but that takes way more time/effort then just keeping it around in a mason jar!

Hi Elmo. Is that one ounce each of hops? Even after years of brewing, I use online calculators to check my recipes. There are many, but I find Brewer's Friend easy to use, it shows what styles match your brew and how close to your chosen style.
You can certainly harvest slurry from a batch started with dry yeast.
If you haven't had a lot of brewing experience, I suggest using proven recipes from HomeBrewTalk, or from reliable authors. I adjust those recipes after brewing and tasting and learning the contributions of different ingredients.
I have brewed all grain for a couple of years using all grain kits and this year I tried recipies. I happened to have the listed malts, hops and yeast an so I tried them togerther. I will chek out Brewers Friend. A little late as the horse has left the barn One Oz each of hops yes.

If it ends up too hoppy, I have had some success blending beers. Works well if you keg, not so easy if you bottle, but the hops will fade over time. Good luck with it, let us know how it works out.

@Elmo Peach
Follow the David Heath Homebrew drying kveik yeast video. I just dried some of the yeast ( opshaug ) from the bottom of my ferment as per his instructions and keep the flakes in the freezer. Works a treat. Wouldn't bother with slurry keeping, never do a starter, treat it mean keep it keen.

I normally ferment mine well over 90 fahrenheit, under a sleeping bag and warming bottles.

I tested the SG today so I tried the brew it is not to hoppy at all it is 4.3ABV light in taste but very cloudy.

I put a spunding valve set to about 6psi after 2 days. OG 1.044 today SG 1.o11 it has been in the fermzilla all rounder since Sat.

This is my second pressure fermentation so don't know if beer will clear up.

@Elmo Peach
Kveik normally drops like a stone. Do still let it finish off the clean up. As you fermented cooler you won't have those " it finished in 36 hours results ", I normally even with much hotter leave it 5 or 6 days before crashing. You can let the pressure ramp up now anywhere up to 25 and that will also help the yeast to drop and if you can then cool it that helps as well. When the ferment is done with kveik you almost can see it clearing and dropping regardless of cooling or pressure. If I was going to fine I'd let the natural drop occur first so the finings have less to do and then it will be cold and the finings work better anyway.

@Elmo Peach
Kveik normally drops like a stone. Do still let it finish off the clean up. As you fermented cooler you won't have those " it finished in 36 hours results ", I normally even with much hotter leave it 5 or 6 days before crashing. You can let the pressure ramp up now anywhere up to 25 and that will also help the yeast to drop and if you can then cool it that helps as well. When the ferment is done with kveik you almost can see it clearing and dropping regardless of cooling or pressure. If I was going to fine I'd let the natural drop occur first so the finings have less to do and then it will be cold and the finings work better anyway.
Thanks, I have never used Kviek before. I will wait it out.

@Elmo Peach
Follow the David Heath Homebrew drying kveik yeast video. I just dried some of the yeast ( opshaug ) from the bottom of my ferment as per his instructions and keep the flakes in the freezer. Works a treat. Wouldn't bother with slurry keeping, never do a starter, treat it mean keep it keen.

I normally ferment mine well over 90 fahrenheit, under a sleeping bag and warming bottles.
I watched his video. I will give it a try. I have dried my sourdough starter so it is about the same.

Back