First cider ... strike one

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatguy100

Reaction score
This is a minor rant

I've been pretty excited to make my first batch of cider , last week I ordered everything I needed .
Got most of it on Amazon , because I have prime and if I use prime day shipping I get Amazon cash .
Today happens to be my Amazon day , the Amazon guy comes between 2-3 pm .
So I'm excited , have a couple friends coming over to make some as well . I wake up this morning , make some pizza dough and start the sauce to cooking and wait .
Amazon order shows up and I'm digging threw it and notice I didn't get the bottle stoppers I ordered .
So I double check to make sure I ordered them .. I did .
But I didn't notice they wasn't prime eligible , this shouldn't have been an issue because the expected delivery day was the 13th
Three days ago .
And this is where I get ticked off , not only do I not have stoppers to use ( canceling my brew day fiesta ) Amazon won't let me cancel the order because the seller ( home brew Ohio ) is saying the order is being processed.
So now I can't order stoppers from someone else because I spent my lousy $8.00 already and now I'll have to wait who knows how long to get them , and then return them , and then wait for my refund So I can order stoppers from someone else .
And what really has me ticked off , I'm going to have to drink the frsh cider I bought So it doesn't get old and crappy .... but I won't be able to get anymore of the cider i wanted to use because it was the last of the pressing when I bought it .

Whew ... i feel better now .

RDWHAHB!

You don't have to cancel anything. First few days of cider are fine if you loosely cover with some plastic wrap. I'd only worry about a stopper for longterm aging. I use one, but I've done many of small batch in a 1 gal apple juice jug with cap just setting on top. Its no biggie.

If I knew for sure it would only be a couple days I wouldn't get to worried about it .

But I don't know , So I'll wait .
I'm just a bit irritated is all , I'm nearly over it .

So I thought the whole idea behind buying yeast was to be able to seal out all the unknown air born yeasts that might give some less the tasty results ?

Mostly it's to have some idea in advance of what one is actually creating :)
I concur with @S-Met, though back in my "pre-stoppers-and-S-locks" days I preferred tin foil as it's pretty hard to make an air tight seal with it...

Cheers!

So I thought the whole idea behind buying yeast was to be able to seal out all the unknown air born yeasts that might give some less the tasty results ?
If yeast can magically fly under plastic wrap, we would have way more things to worry about.

There's a reason we say RDWHAHB:
Relax
Don't
Worry
Have
A
HomeBrew

What is your fermentation vessel? Bucket? Carboy? The bottle the juice came in?
And good call on tin foil.

I like my airlock for the reduced waste and the fun of watching bubbles percolate through during fermentation. But I've accidentally dropped and stepped on by only airlock breaking it on brew day. I grabbed the empty ziploc I had some leftover used for keeping my carboy top clean and set it over top loosely securing it with a twist-tie. Brew was fine. No worries.

All I'm saying is I would not let an airlock stop a brew day.

I gotcha now :)

I tend towards being very deliberate when i do things .
I'm not against deviating from a plan , but it has to be in a controlled fashion .
Plus if it turns out good I want to be able to replicate my results to the best of my ability.

I am going to use a couple glass 1 gallon carboys , now that I'm over being ticked off
And the pizza dough is good for another day or two I'll make alternative plans .

Deliberate is good. Never discount that. Good brewers replicate successes through deliberate efforts (and copious note taking).
But one has to roll with the trials and tribulations of home delivery - don't let them take you down, bro! :D

Cheers!

Back