First batch almost done, what's next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smarie

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm a new brewer and I'm a celiac. I've got two batches of homemade wine under my belt (both turned out well in my non-expert opinion) and my first batch of beer is almost done. It's the Ghostfish Grapefruit IPA recipe since that seemed like a good place to start. I tasted it when I checked the specific gravity and added the dry hops...It seems like it's going to be really good - a heck of a lot better than anything I can buy around here.

I'm just wondering, assuming everything turns out well with this first batch, what's the next logical step? Should I repeat the same recipe a few times before I try something else? I do have everything I'd need for all grain, courtesy of my fiancé (everything's stainless steel except the hoses, so I would hope if I cleaned it well enough cross-contamination shouldn't be a problem). But I was planning to do a few extract brews first before I try that. I'd really like to make a tangerine IPA - do you think it's possible to turn the grapefruit recipie into a tangerine one?

I'm not an IPA expert, so I can't speak to changing that recipe to tangerine vs grapefruit, but as for the rest of your post, I say go at whatever pace you want to and are comfortable with. If you'd like to rebrew the same recipe a few times to practice on beer, that's fine, but if you'll get bored brewing it/drinking it, don't force yourself to. You probably have a handle on the fermentation aspect from making wine and a beer batch, so you've essentially done everything following the 'mashout' of all grain brewing. If you want to jump to all-grain, I'd recommend finding a recipe that sounds good to you and brewing that, and if you want to make any changes to a recipe, keep them minimal until you can get a deeper understand of what the different ingredients do. Alternatively, if you do construct a recipe, you can post it up and see what people think.

TL;DR: It's a hobby that, at least for me, is in large part for fun. Do what you want to do with it!

Back