Duotight For Perlick Shanks?? And EVABarrier length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobo1898

Instagram | @bierdedbrewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I acquired a kegerator second hand and want to replace all the lines and fittings with duotight and EVABarrier.

The tower has Perlick taps installed but the shanks are elbows (or gooseneck?)---see the attached image. From what I'm reading, duotight fittings won't fit these? Is this correct? I know that there are a variety of taps on the market, but Perlick has always seemed to be the tap of choice from the community over the years, so I'm surprised if this is the case.

Is my only option with these to connect the EVABarrier lines directly to the elbow? And then to use fittings in the rest of the system?

And to confirm, I'm calculating that 4mm ID line can be much shorter in the draft line than typical 3/16". Before, I was running 9 or 10 ft, with my Pluto gun, but I'm calculating that I could run 4 or 5 ft of EVABarrier. Does that sound accurate?-------UPDATE, I'm seeing this on another thread from the other day, that the line lengths are fairly accurate given my volumes of CO2.

Attachments

• IMG_6629_shank.jpg
    IMG_6629_shank.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
I just bought a Komos tap tower and it came with this fitting for the shanks. I think that's a 3/16 elbow which push connects and on the other side is a 8mm outer diameter, or 5/16 connection. I believe it's a duotight.
Komos tap.jpg

I've been trying for ages to find a definitive answer to this... It 'seems' to be a problem with older parts or older stock. I've been using the standard Kegland Duotight shanks with my Perlick 630SS alongside my Nukataps for a couple years now and had no problem. That said, the last person to ask on here got that same reassurance from me, ordered duotight shanks for his Perlick and it leaked. If you can go in to a bricks and mortar LHBS and see if your Perlicks seat in the shanks you're considering, do it...otherwise, if ordering online you might get older incompatible stock.
In short: No-one has been able to definitively answer this yet.
Best of luck. :mug:

Has anyone else had luck with the intertap duotight shank with a perlick 630ss? My Perlick line needs to be replaced and I want to go evabarrier. Is it 100% a gamble for it not leaking?

What kind of shanks are you already using? The 630SS doesn't need anything special wrt shanks - even if fitted with Intertap return springs a standard shank profile should work. I just threaded on DMfit push-to-connect fittings to my existing standard 7/8-14 (5/8 BSP) shanks and was good to go...

Cheers!

What kind of shanks are you already using? The 630SS doesn't need anything special wrt shanks - even if fitted with Intertap return springs a standard shank profile should work. I just threaded on DMfit push-to-connect fittings to my existing standard 7/8-14 (5/8 BSP) shanks and was good to go...

Cheers!
That's a great question. I bought the shank with the Perlick faucet back in 2016 IIRC, I think from kegworks. So the elbow on the shank doesn't matter for fitting into a duotight connector, as long as the od is correct?

"Elbow on the shank"? Is that some integrated part of the shank, or a separable tail piece?

One can work the 4mm ID (8mm OD) EVAbarrier line over a 3/16" or 1/4" barb with some heat added, but it's much nicer to use a push-to-connect fitting...

Cheers!

I was emailing @KegLand some time ago and trying to get them to come on the forum mainly to get this question answered. My Perlick works fine on my duotight shank, but a few others have had leaks. Perlick never answered my emails.

Yes, the end of the shank that is
"Elbow on the shank"? Is that some integrated part of the shank, or a separable tail piece?

One can work the 4mm ID (8mm OD) EVAbarrier line over a 3/16" or 1/4" barb with some heat added, but it's much nicer to use a push-to-connect fitting...

Cheers!
Yes, the part of the shank in the tower that the beer line connects to. On both of my shanks it curves down towards the fridge, like an elbow.

Ok, if you cannot remove the "elbow" I suppose the choice is between replacing the shank with an EVAbarrier compatible one, or find a way to shove the tubing over your existing shank...

Cheers!

Ok, if you cannot remove the "elbow" I suppose the choice is between replacing the shank with an EVAbarrier compatible one, or find a way to shove the tubing over your existing shank...

Cheers!
Nothing to remove, take a look at this to see what I'm talking about, the only part that looks like an elbow. The question is, as long as the od of that metal tube fits into the duotight to evabarrier tube connector, is that all that matters?

https://www.morebeer.com/products/intertap-short-tower-shank-duotight-compatible-barb.html

I have Perlick 650SS faucets. I purchased beer shanks and Duotight Adapters from MoreBeer that work fine. The Beer Shank was the key for me. The others that worked directly with DuoTight did not work with the Perlick Faucets. I ended up getting Beer Shank D1244A (it’s a 3 inch) and DuoTight DUO104 has a female beer thread that mates up with the beer shank then all EVA from there. I just did not use the nipple that comes with the shank that threads onto the male beer thread. Works great. No leaks.
Beer Faucet Shank (Stainless) - 3 in. | MoreBeer

Duotight Push-In Fitting - 8 mm (5/16 in.) x Female Beer Thread | MoreBeer

Last edited:
You can flare 4mm ID EVA enough to get over 3/16 or 1/4" barbs. You will need to use Oetiker style clamps to hold them on.
I have been searching for an answer and this seemed like a good thread. I have the same setup, 5+ year old tower with 630SS faucets. It is time for new lines and I want to switch to Eva. I want to start by trying to put the Eva Barrier tubing over the barbs on the shanks. I have never worked with Oetiker clamps. Are they that much better than worm clamps? I checked Home Depot and Lowes but they only have a few which are not the correct size. Well, I don't know what the correct size is but these obviously are not it. Question: What is the correct size Oetiker clamp for 8mm outer/4mm inner Eva over a barb? Any suggestions on where to buy the clamps? Thank you!

Why not just buy the intertap duotight compatible shank?

I remember looking into this but there was a reason. I can't remember, but it might have been because my perlicks are older (525?) than the 630. But looks like @t^3 has the same faucets you do so hypothetically they can use your suggestion.

I remember looking into this but there was a reason. I can't remember, but it might have been because my perlicks are older (525?) than the 630. But looks like @t^3 has the same faucets you do so hypothetically they can use your suggestion.
Morebeer says they do not fit perlick so I was hesitant. I’d give it a shot, worst case scenario you wasted $20, or you can recoup by selling it

Back