Device to over-ride a window air conditioner thermostat for a cold room.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKenzieTap

Reaction score
I am looking for device that will over ride the internal thermostat of a window a/c to allow it to get to 37 degrees to create a cold room for kegs that is NOT a CoolBot. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Ya- we got a CoolBot last year for our first rig and it was just $119- shocked to see they are now $349! We need 4 of them! Ugh! Does the InkBird do the same thing?

I looked into a coolbot a long time ago and I think there’s some extra programming involved that keeps the a/c from freezing over.

Search for diy cool bot builders on here. Looks like its already been done using two temp controllers

Why do you need 5 controllers? Also, how big is your chamber and what size AC unit are you putting in there? Make sure all that stuff is carefully planned out before you start buying materials or modifying things you can't return.

If they are all in the same room couldn’t you just plug them all in to a surge protector and then plug the surge protector in to an inkbird or Johnson controls thermostat? Maybe you should just invest in a mini split air conditioner. It would save you money on your electric bill and get better efficiency than 5 window units.

Why do you need 5 controllers? Also, how big is your chamber and what size AC unit are you putting in there? Make sure all that stuff is carefully planned out before you start buying materials or modifying things you can't return.
We need 5 of them because we are building 5 beer trailers. We already have the CoolBot on the trailer that is my profile pic.. But we are building 5 more.

Oh I see. Yeah 6 mini splits is out of the question LOL. I thought it was just for 1 room.

If you have an analog a/c (knobs, no digital display, no remote) you can set it to max cool and plug it into an inkbird or other controller. If it's digital, you have to get into the internal wiring. The problem is, when the digital control looses power, that is, when the add-on control turns the compressor off, most models have to be restarted manually when power returns.

Here is another option, get the 308 inkbird, wire something that make heat, like a small Christmas tree lightbulb, into the cold out of the inkbird. Then tape the bulb to the temp sensor on the ac unit. Set the fan on the AC unit to always on, so it does not freeze up. When you need cold the bulb will make the ac temp sensor think that it is 90, and it will run. When the temp reached the set temp on the inkbird the bulb will shut off and the compressor will shut off as the temp sensor cools.

This will take two temp controllers. One with a small light bulb taped to the ac temp probe. This controllers temp prob will measure the ambient air temp. One with its temp prob shoved in to ac cool and set to 32. This one should trip when the coil freezes over and will the turn off the light bulb on the first controller. Eventually the water will condensate and your temp should drop quickly. This is how the cool bot works.

If you have an analog a/c (knobs, no digital display, no remote) you can set it to max cool and plug it into an inkbird or other controller. If it's digital, you have to get into the internal wiring. The problem is, when the digital control looses power, that is, when the add-on control turns the compressor off, most models have to be restarted manually when power returns.
Hi have tried this. I'm very curious if it works

Back