Converting propain turkey fryer to natural gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewboz

Reaction score
Hey so I have been think and planning and here are my thoughts. I am going to upgrade my turkey fryer burner (55,000) btu to natural gas. The ring you see with tape measure is about 8 3/4s. So the 23 tip jet burner (160,000) btu is 8" 3/4s as well. A tight fit I'd say.. So the smaller 10 tip jet burner (80,000) btu is a 6" diameter. Both are about the same price. Wich one should I get?

Attachments

• 0826181715a.jpg
    0826181715a.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 187
  • Capture+_2018-08-26-18-06-40.png
    Capture+_2018-08-26-18-06-40.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 197
  • Capture+_2018-08-26-18-07-06.png
    Capture+_2018-08-26-18-07-06.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 168
I bought the 10 tip. Got everything converted but bought the wrong sized pipe for the burner to valve portion. I'll be putting it together this week.

I've only ever brewed 5 gal batches but never had any issues with 55,000 BTU. I can't imagine you'd need more than 80,000.

Did you ever order any of it?

I would think 85K will be more than enough. I'm redoing my system and in a moment of stupidity ordered 2 200K burners and if I were to run them wide open I'd probably melt the ball valves, sight glass and thermometers off my 10 gallon pots.

Yeah. My concern was the flame height even on the 10 tip. If you've already done one working set up, did you find a good guide to work off or are you a plumber that knows what you're doing

I know this is an old thread and this isn't exactly what the OP was asking but I was wondering about converting this turkey fryer burner when I got it:

To be honest I think its overall design is poor for natural gas conversion for whatever reason. I first followed the standard propane to natural gas orifice conversion and ended up with one very weak albeit good looking flame. I drilled the orifice out more in several increments hoping to increase its power. Each time the flame got a bit more powerful but still not as great as I was hoping for. As it stands its power is just barely acceptable for my purposes. It's also got a bit of orange at the flame tips (no CO though) and it produces a fair amount of soot on the kettle so I'm hesitant to go any further for safety reasons. YMMV and if you don't know what you're doing, I'd suggest buying a proper natural gas burner.

Latest posts

Back