Cheap Pen to Defeat Check-Washing Dirtbags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a neat video which, if correct, ought to be shared.

Frank Abagnale, the famous forger, is telling people to get new pens. He says slimeballs are using acetone to remove ink from checks. They remove the amounts and payees, and then they fill in whatever they want.

Abagnale says the Uniball 207 pen, which is available on Amazon, is the only cheap pen you can trust to stand up to acetone. I don't know if this is true. I got the impression that India ink will also work, which is probably true, because the pigment is tiny particles of carbon which would be hard to get rid of. Anyway, just tossing the idea out there.

The thing I don't get is why there is only one cheap pen in the world that works. That is his claim, unless I misunderstood.

When testing the various pens, is there a chance all the acetone caused brain damage?
I've somehow survived the last 10 years or so without writing a single check.

I can't remember the last time I wrote a check. My wife writes three or four a year to her sisters and girlfriends because they haven't figured out venmo.

This is a new anxiety that I didn't expect to have today. I write so few checks that it's unlikely to be an issue but still....

I use fountain pens with permanent ink. It's often called "document ink".

For winter time carry I even have freeze resistant permanent inks.

Latest posts

Back