Brewing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooklyn brewer

Reaction score
New to the site..had a question that hopefully can be answered.
I have a 2.5gallon kit that I would like to brew in a 1 gallon fermenter. Is it possible? will it be high alcohol? Wanted to try to experiment with a coffee infusion.
thanking in advance

Are you sure the kit is to make 2.5 gallons? Their typical kits are to produce 2 gallons of beer.

If you use the whole kit to make 1 gallon, it simply will be double strength. That should not be a problem, if you like it that strong. :yes::yes:

In what kind of container are you going to ferment it? A gallon jug would be too small, you need to leave at least a quart of headspace above the beer for the foam, rather a little more if you ferment it on the warmer side.

You can. It will be beer.

Let's assume that original recipe is roughly OG 45, FG 15, ABV 5.7%, 20 IBUs.

Some of the numbers will scale lineally. Let's assume 2x (I'll make the math math easy for me).
  • OG 90, 40 IBUs.
Assuming the yeast can handle OG 90 and with 67% AA (45-15 / 45), FG would be around 30. Estimated ABV 7.75%
  • FG 30 (?); ABV 7.75%
Also, the mineral content of the extract will be doubled in the final beer. This could lead to some unexpected flavors (maybe good flavors, maybe bad flavors).

FWIW, it may be good beer, but I have my doubts.

I did a quick review of #4 (above) before posting this.

Home Depot buckets are very inexpensive and functional.

Cruise craigslist for a 3 gallon carboy, my opinion.

I need one for smaller batches. All mine are 5 or 6 gallon, so I'm limited.

I have also fermented in growlers. There is still decanting/bottling and carbonating...

Are you planning in bottling your beer?

Will try to ferment in a converted 2gallon clear snack jar..the keg from mr beer is 2 1/2 gallons the extract kit is for 2 gallons . I have a slight crack in the mr beer keg that I found after last batch

Back