BrewFather Doesn't Save Batch Notes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeCo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've had several instances where I have kept detailed notes for a batch in BrewFather only to find the notes gone after switching to settings or another area of the app. Have any other users had this experience, and do you know if there's a way to force a save?

I've had several instances where I have kept detailed notes for a batch in BrewFather only to find the notes gone after switching to settings or another area of the app. Have any other users had this experience, and do you know if there's a way to force a save?
I've had this happen a few times but not with a discernible pattern. I think maybe there is a certain view in the app where it just doesn't save automatically. Or maybe the note feature on a certain platform (I use on phone, tablet, and desktop) is just buggy. Seems like it's under pretty active development and the GUI is being updated regularly. I know not too long ago you could manually save but I just checked and it looks like I don't have that option any more.

I wish I had more info or a solution but I don't. I'm using Chrome for Linux and and the Android app. I have already looked through their issue tracker but don't see it there. I was planning to submit an issue the next time it happens. If you remember the circumstances and want to add the issue then here is the link to the issue tracker. I'm sure they'd appreciate the info.

https://gitlab.com/warpkode/public/brewfather/-/boards/1001783

No pattern for me either. Usually it saves but often it just inexplicably loses a large portion of the notes.
That sucks to hear. I haven't lost all too many notes so far but it's just a matter of time before I do. Next time it happens I'll try to remember to put it in their issue tracker since maybe it's not just my issue. Cheers :mug:

I've had that problem occasionally, I have the feeling it's caused by brewfather losing connection to it's server. Sometimes it seems like the app is working against a local copy and read/writes to that one and not updating the master version. It might be some conflict also when updating more or less simultaneously from different apps, such as phone vs PC.

I have the feeling it's caused by brewfather losing connection to it's server.
I think this is likely. This is why a way to request or force a save would be helpful. At least then a server error message could be displayed. In my most recent loss, I had only been updating from the web browser version on my laptop, so in this case I know it's not because of updating from multiple devices. I had been updating the batch notes during fermentation for a week in the same browser tab and all was good until I checked my notification settings by leaving the view for the batch. When I reopened the batch, the notes were gone except for the first day of fermentation.

I think the key is not having more than one instance open at a time. Like if you have it open on your phone and on a desktop, it's possible for the file without the notes to overwrite the one you just put notes into.

I think the key is not having more than one instance open at a time. Like if you have it open on your phone and on a desktop, it's possible for the file without the notes to overwrite the one you just put notes into.
I think you're right. It does appear to happen after I've opened BF on my phone while having it open on my laptop. It's still a bug in my opinion, so I'll contact BrewFather about it. The system should be able to update existing batch notes on the server when I open the same batch on another device rather than overwriting it.

FWIW, I sent a message to BrewFather for help and they responded with this:

"It sounds like your installation might not be working properly, would you mind trying to delete the browser cache/app data. That should reset your Brewfather installation so it sets up the local database properly again.

I would also suggest you use Chrome as the browser as that is what we mostly do our testing on.

Would you give it a try and let me know if that improves the issue?"

Back