Double IPA Big Bruiser's Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirkbarberap

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
American ale
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
srm 12
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
not made yet
I came up with this and I am looking for input before I brew it!

15 Lbs 2 row pale ale malt
1.75 Lbs Cara Pils
1.0 Lbs Honey malt
1.2 Lbs Caramel Malt
0.5 Lbs American Crystal 120L

2 Oz Chinook 60 min
2 Oz Chinook 10 min
2 Oz Chinook 5 min
1 Oz Chinook 1 min
4 Oz Cascade Dry Hop

Mash at 154F for 95 min
Collect 6 Gal for boil.

Unless you want it sweet I would mash at 150 maximum...I like the 95min mash time. At 150 the body will be lighter and the beer will turn out drier due to the amount of fermentables. Also, use adjuncts...I would use 1-2lb of sugar/clear Belgian candied sugar. I would also whack it with 3 oz at 5 and 1 minute...I prefer galaxy or citra or cascade...something like that. My favorite yeasts are dry English ale, super yeast, or SA-05, but american ale will do the trick. Big yeast starter and you should be ready to rock. It will have a huge nose of fruit and be a show stopper ipa.

The only thing I would change would be to use a single hop through the entire brew. You're almost there anyways. Really gives you a chance to experience all that a single hop can contribute. I too would lower your mash temp.

I would recommend going for a lower final gravity on an Imperial IPA to meet the style. You can get there by lowering the crystal percentage, mashing lower, and possibly use some cane or corn sugar in the boil.

I know I'am a little late here, but I would have to agree on the mash temperature. I did and English pale ale, and an imperial IPA and mashed at 155-156 range, and both are so cloyingly sweet I can't stand to drink them. They are good beers, just far to sweet. I think I'am going to do a few dry crisp pale ales and and blend them in. I was sample testing that yesterday with a pale ale and when blended it was very much like Dog Fish 90 minute IPA.

Latest posts

Back