Best programmable temperature controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jfphrogg

Reaction score
Greetings everyone
I am trying to build a new temperature controller for my fermentation chamber. I want to build something programmable, similar to the STC-1000+ firmware project that AlphaOmega had a few years ago. However, they don't seem to make the version of the STC-1000 that you need to complete that project (A400P I think?) ALiExpress doesn't sell them anymore and I can't seem to find one anywhere. If anyone knows where I can get one let me know!

Anyway, I am also thinking that there is likely something a little more high speed available now. After all it has been nearly six years or so since the original project was posted.

My goal is to be able to program a full fermentation profile into the controller (it would have to be dual stage of course) so that I could set the beer in there, run the profile and walk away. It would go through fermentation, ramp up for diacetyl rest, then back down for lagering/cold crash all on its own. I am currently using a dual stage controller that works great, but I have to manually enter each change in temperature. This gets to be a pain if I am away for work or whatever. If I can find one that I can program it will be a lot easier.

So if anyone knows of a good solution. Let me know!

Thanks in advance!
Cheers

Odd that nobody replied. There must be people out there that have built Arduino or Raspberry Pi based temperature controllers.

One of my three RPIs regularly loses its WiFi connection but otherwise keeps running, one has hosed its SD card for the 2nd or 3rd time now, and only one is running reliably for weeks at a time, so maybe Arduino is the way to go, based on my very limited experience.

I totally missed the OP.

There are lots of folks on HBT running various branches of "BrewPi", including the final Elco version, Lee Bussy's BrewPi Remix, and Thorrak's Fermentrack, to list a few. I am still running the last Elco version (0.2.10) managing three chambers and my keezer from a single RPi2B, with the chambers connected via Bluetooth so I don't have cables strung across my brew space :)

Cheers!

Back