BAD honey for mead is real. Or is it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2+ years ago, I bought burned honey from bulk restaurant web stores. Even after a year of aging, there is still after-taste. Even on fruit mead. So quality does matter.

I bought a bunch of cheap honey from Menard's, it made terrible mead.
Most likely a mostly fake honey from outside the U.S. some honey mixed with sweeteners etc. just like electronics counterfeit in food products is a big money maker. Olive oil is another prime example. Store brand honey is a mix of stuff all over the place.

Working for a bee keeper in the years of high school the honey types I noticed that were best we're alfalfa and sweet clover these were almost a clear to light yellow. Canola produced a lot of honey and was really good more goldfish. Sunflowers were very dark amber. It all went in the same tank and mixed together. But the clover and alfalfa I would take combs and chew the fresh wax and honey very good.

Most likely a mostly fake honey from outside the U.S. some honey mixed with sweeteners etc. just like electronics counterfeit in food products is a big money maker. Olive oil is another prime example. Store brand honey is a mix of stuff all over the place.
Agree 100%, my Menard's olive oil mead was total **** as well.

Your licorice note is from the star anise extract. Your mead will change over time. Some spices & herbs linger, but, others fade with time. Your honey will likely make a comeback in a few months & flavors will blend.
I would say maybe make a traditional (honey, water & yeast, with nutrients, of course) & try blending them . You can always add more flavor, but, once you've added too much you're stuck with what you have made until you change it or wait it out.
I hope this helps you.
Happy meading 😎
Here it is, 3 days and bubbling happy, I added red huckleberry juice from some that grow here and it sweetened up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
When dealing with meads you can most always expect significant changes over time. I suggest you place yours in a relatively cool location and give it time to mature. Same goes for your Belgian Triple.
My first tripel with honey sat for a long time before I tapped it and was great. My second one I tapped pretty quickly and was unpleasant. Both were the same recipe.

My honey brown I tap right away and it's great...

go figure...

Lots of meaderies can serve after only a few months. Our first try has sat 2 years after bottling and is finally drinkable. Just store cool and let it age. It might not be great, but it will most probably get way better. And just remember, the older you get, the less taste you can differentiate

As a "Certified Honey" Beekeeper (I agree to abide by certain standards of quality for my honey and hives) I can tell you that unless the beekeeper is someone you know and they hand you the bottle themselves, it is difficult to know the origin of the honey or its floral source. Most cheaper honey that is available in bulk can have a large quantity of corn syrup either added to it or fed to the bees. Most of these don't have any pollen that is detectable in them to determine their floral source. Any honey that comes from outside your area can be suspect. It's a big money game. Just something to spread some awareness. Depending on the time of year you obtain your honey or the time of year the honey was extracted/robbed will determine its floral source. Here in the spring we have large amounts of Tulipafera (tulip tree or "tulip poplar"). This is a sweet red amber honey. Honeys like "mad honey" (which is nectar from a Nepalese laurel) can be terribly bitter and somewhat fermented when you get them. The effect is fun though. All of this to simply say that the honey does affect the taste of the mead. And I believe there is nothing wrong with taste before you buy...

As a "Certified Honey" Beekeeper (I agree to abide by certain standards of quality for my honey and hives) I can tell you that unless the beekeeper is someone you know and they hand you the bottle themselves, it is difficult to know the origin of the honey or its floral source. Most cheaper honey that is available in bulk can have a large quantity of corn syrup either added to it or fed to the bees. Most of these don't have any pollen that is detectable in them to determine their floral source. Any honey that comes from outside your area can be suspect. It's a big money game. Just something to spread some awareness. Depending on the time of year you obtain your honey or the time of year the honey was extracted/robbed will determine its floral source. Here in the spring we have large amounts of Tulipafera (tulip tree or "tulip poplar"). This is a sweet red amber honey. Honeys like "mad honey" (which is nectar from a Nepalese laurel) can be terribly bitter and somewhat fermented when you get them. The effect is fun though. All of this to simply say that the honey does affect the taste of the mead. And I believe there is nothing wrong with taste before you buy...
Also, it's nice and dark in color and flavor...add some spices and make it a megthelin...or if it doesn't age out...distill it...

Latest posts

Back