Anyone made miso paste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadwolfbones

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2 gal crock, a boatload of soybeans, and a lot of koji and I'm going to attempt my first homemade miso.

Would love to hear anyone else's experiences/tips!

I recently bought a 2 gal crock, a boatload of soybeans, and a lot of koji and I'm going to attempt my first homemade miso.

Ooooo, fun with fermenting!! No never tried it but I will look forward to your experience - please post details as you go along! Good luck!

I'm really interested in this! I'm speaking again this year at HomebrewCon about these type of fermentations, and yet I've never done what you are doing. Please post photos if you would, and keep us updated on your progress. This is fascinating t me.

A lot of patience.

Have you considered making soy sauce or tamari instead. Then you get sauce and miso with a similar effort.

From what I understand, you get tamari (increasingly dark/flavorful) from the miso-making process as it moves along.

So, to bump this, made the miso today. Long process and a much longer wait until it's ready, but altogether quite easy. I ended up going with a 1:1 ratio of koji and soy bean (1.3kg each), which puts this miso pretty close to red miso, but it should end up not quite as sharp. It filled our 2 gallon crock a bit past halfway. I'll post another update in 3 months!

So, to bump this, made the miso today. Long process and a much longer wait until it's ready, but altogether quite easy. I ended up going with a 1:1 ratio of koji and soy bean (1.3kg each), which puts this miso pretty close to red miso, but it should end up not quite as sharp. It filled our 2 gallon crock a bit past halfway. I'll post another update in 3 months!
Do you have a recipe/process to share? I'm not sure if I use enough to want to make my own, but if I always have it in hand...

How is it going, deadwolfbones?
Never tried anything like this before, though I saved a recipe from a different forum several years ago (as author lives in Japan and was taught to make traditional miso paste by locals). Subscribed to your thread!

So far so good. We had some mold early on but scraped it and re-salted/applied plastic wrap and it hasn't returned. We'll probably stir it for the first time before we head out of town for Christmas.

No tamari, which seems odd, but we live in a very dry climate so I dunno. It's possible we didn't add enough bean liquid when mixing it all together.

Back