Advice on hop plant in a bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velnerj

Simul justus et potator
Reaction score
Hi folks,

This year was the first year I planted hops. I planted two rhizomes one in the ground and another in a big plastic planter (about the size of a 5 gallon bucket.

The one in the ground looks to be doing well and healthy. Only a few cones this year but I know the focus is on the root system for years to come.

The second plant in the bucket didn't fare so well. Though it sprouted and grew about 8 feet it was yellowish and didn't produce any cones. I also know that it wasn't in a very sunny spot. So I'm sure the combination of being in a bucket plus not enough sun stunted it's growth.

I'd like to replant this one in the ground in a sunnier position. My question is, can I do this now in the fall or should I wait till the Spring? If I wait till Spring what should I do with the plant through the winter? (I'm located in the Czech Republic and winters can get cold)

Thanks!

I had a similar situation - had 2 plants and 1 did great and the other not so much and needed a move. Did a little research and seems like you're better off waiting until early spring before disturbing them and transplanting.

Did a little research and seems like you're better off waiting until early spring before disturbing them and transplanting.
I've always found that the benefit of fall planting is that being the soil is still warm, the plant ends up having the luxury of making new roots in that location until the soil freezes. Replanting in the spring is just the opposite as the plant will have to wait until the soils warm up enough to initiate root growth so sometimes there's a long lag time before you see new growth. What were the reasons given that spring planting was better than in the fall?

I've always found that the benefit of fall planting is that being the soil is still warm, the plant ends up having the luxury of making new roots in that location until the soil freezes. Replanting in the spring is just the opposite as the plant will have to wait until the soils warm up enough to initiate root growth so sometimes there's a long lag time before you see new growth. What were the reasons given that spring planting was better than in the fall?
Hey great call out and I was mixing up transplanting with digging up a rootball for rhizome harvesting.
Just after harvest would indeed be the right time to get this thing in the ground so it can establish itself a bit before the cold sets in.

Ideally, it would be beneficial to keep them up and let them die back naturally after harvest rather than to transplant them immediately. By leaving them in place until they die off from the frost they'll still be making simple carbs through photosynthesis, but being that they're not actively growing they'll send those carbs down to the crown to be stored and used later when needed.

Back