adding additional yeast during primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRoh

Reaction score
I wanted to make hoppy, fruity flavours beer with sweetness and high ABV.
So I used galaxy, mosaic, citra, cascade hop and WLP066 london fog ale yeast.
But the problem is that I added 500g of lactose for sweetness and 1kg of sugar for high ABV.
Because of these, OG is 1.116.
I was worried that yeast couldn't stay alive at high ABV (WLP066 yeast alcohol tolerence is known as 8~12%)
but the primary fermentation is now proceeding for 7 days with active signals (e.g. gas bubbling in the wort)
i didn't check the gravity yet, but if it goes more, then yeast would all die because of high alcohol concentration.
if it all dies, then carbonation in the bottle also would not works well.
do you think I need to add more yeast with higher alcohol tolerence?

In short

Problem 1. too high OG of 1.116
Problem 2. WLP066 has low alcohol tolerence

Question 1. do I need to add more yeast with higher alcohol tolerence?
Question 3. will the carbonation in the bottle go well?

Last edited:
Everything will turn out fine without any additional action. Don't add any more yeast to an active fermentation. The new yeast will be out-competed by the yeast that is already there. There will be no advantage to adding more yeast.

I agree, leave it alone now it's on its way. The high ethanol level is unlikely to kill all the cells once it approaches the suggested limits. The yeast are just going to slow right down and die at a rate probably low enough for fermentation to finish, before they all kick the bucket.

If you think it won't carb in the bottle you can add ~3 grams of CBC dry yeast to the priming solution after it cools. That always works for my barrel aged RIS's.

Everything will turn out fine without any additional action. Don't add any more yeast to an active fermentation. The new yeast will be out-competed by the yeast that is already there. There will be no advantage to adding more yeast.
thank you!
Today i checked it and SG is 1.016!
Est ABV is 13%!
But the smell is not so strong that i plan to add some more hop.
Ah, also sweetness is lack, i will add more lactose.
Is it good you think?

I agree, leave it alone now it's on its way. The high ethanol level is unlikely to kill all the cells once it approaches the suggested limits. The yeast are just going to slow right down and die at a rate probably low enough for fermentation to finish, before they all kick the bucket.
Then do you think carbonation can go well?

If you think it won't carb in the bottle you can add ~3 grams of CBC dry yeast to the priming solution after it cools. That always works for my barrel aged RIS's.
Uhm but i cannot get CBC yeast easily.
I need to buy it from foreign site :(
Isn't there another way?

thank you!
Today i checked it and SG is 1.016!
Est ABV is 13%!
But the smell is not so strong that i plan to add some more hop.
Ah, also sweetness is lack, i will add more lactose.
Is it good you think?

Wow, that is highly attenuated. Go ahead and add more hops and lactose to your liking.

I believe it will carbonate okay, but it is difficult to know for certain. Still, I would not add any more yeast. There should be enough healthy yeast cells leftover from primary fermentation to carbonate in the bottles without need to add more yeast.

You can use a REDSTAR Cuvvé to continue the stuck fermentation - it supports until 18%ABV. I use it with good results. I said this in another post about a stuck 1130-1050 (10.5%ABV) stuck fermentation.

Back