30 Amp "Light" Switch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thekraken

Reaction score
I was perusing the big box store yesterday and found a 30 amp DPST toggle switch. This switch could replace a selector switch + contactor at about 1/5 the cost. Any reason people aren't using these? (Or maybe I just havn't seen people using them...)

I'm trying to come up with a reason not to use them in my 30A build. The only thing that comes to mind is water resistance, but I don't remember if the typical switches we use (ie theelectricbrewery.com) are water resistant anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HEIVZK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Here is the datasheet to the switch linked above:
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibcG...299F5F41ECDC9601BD2A11FDD1FA59&minisite=10251

And I assume the following "Horsepower" specs wouldn't apply to my brewery's mostly resistive load?:
AC Horsepower Ratings
HP Rating: 2HP-120V 2HP-240V
Max. Amperage: 24 Amp

Last edited by a moderator:
A number of brewers have used that switch. Particularly if they are trying to minimize cost. I've drawn up circuits using that switch. Doesn't have the flexibility of a contactor (can't build a "safe start" circuit for example.) And no, the motor ratings don't apply to a resistive load.

Brew on :mug:

I was perusing the big box store yesterday and found a 30 amp DPST toggle switch. This switch could replace a selector switch + contactor at about 1/5 the cost. Any reason people aren't using these? (Or maybe I just havn't seen people using them...)

I'm trying to come up with a reason not to use them in my 30A build. The only thing that comes to mind is water resistance, but I don't remember if the typical switches we use (ie theelectricbrewery.com) are water resistant anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HEIVZK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Here is the datasheet to the switch linked above:
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibcG...299F5F41ECDC9601BD2A11FDD1FA59&minisite=10251

And I assume the following "Horsepower" specs wouldn't apply to my brewery's mostly resistive load?:

I've been using two of those on my system system since 2009. I used because they were the first thing I found that fit the need, not because they were cheap. There was substantially less info and reference designs back then for electric brewing systems, so I just made it up as I went along.

BTW, I like the wet location cover over it. Switch and cover are both available at HD.

leviton_30a_240v_dpst_switch-34639.jpg

240v_outlet_and_switch-34643.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, that's it. Also, if you have any interest in automation, you can't do that with manual switches (unless you want to use solenoids to switch them :D )

BTW. What king of panel are you looking at?

Brew on :mug:

Still weighing my options. I've been running a 120v RIMS with a propane kettle. I've recently installed 240v and only need a control box for my boil kettle to go all electric.

I can stick with my current RIMS set up and just build a separate and cheap boil control box with a switch and a spare arduino to control my ssr for faux pwm, OR I could rebuild from scratch a single control panel to incorporate both the RIMS and kettle, and maybe pumps while I'm at it. I have no plans at the moment to incorporate solenoid ball valves for that level of automation... but who knows.

I've been using two of those on my system system since 2009. I used because they were the first thing I found that fit the need, not because they were cheap. There was substantially less info and reference designs back then for electric brewing systems, so I just made it up as I went along.

BTW, I like the wet location cover over it. Switch and cover are both available at HD.

leviton_30a_240v_dpst_switch-34639.jpg

240v_outlet_and_switch-34643.jpg

I hadn't even thought of the wet location cover, thank you for reminding me. I just might have to do that.

That little bump over the red lever for putting in a lock?

I use these switches with my electric system. I decided to go with a simpler (in my mind) setup, and not do the whole big control panel. I am also a lot more comfortable with household wiring, rather than crimping and a lot of wires in tight confined spaces.

Here is how the switches look in my setup:
26931625436_99f378618b_c.jpg

I went with a sub panel with separate breakers to individual control boxes for each element with those switches on the wall.

I really like my setup, but it is definitely not the typical electric brewery that you see posted about on here, and it may or may not be how you envision your own brewery setup.

Back