Removing kegs for 24 hours okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremydgreat

Reaction score
I was thinking about removing a couple kegs from my keezer to make room for crash-cooling a carboy (a particularly cloudy IIPA that I want to settle out) before kegging.

Think it's okay to remove kegs once they've been tapped for about 24 hours? I don't have any other place to put them other than outside my keezer, so they would be un-refrigerated at about 70ºf for about 24 hours.

No good? Okay?

I'm pretty sure this would be no more detrimental than taking a bottle out of the fridge and putting it back in. I'm pretty sure it will be fine.

You'll be just fine taking it out for a day or even much longer! I've done the same thing when space is at a premium.

Best,

the beer in the keg will still be beer, but its not an optimal choice. harsh temp changes can be detrimental to cooled beer, but 24 hours at 70 degrees may be unnoticeable.

Adding to this, could one just pull a carbed keg and save it in another fridge for a month?

The answer is yes as long as it does not leak. If your really worried about it bring the keg over too be I'll keep it on tap..just joking. You will be fine.

The answer is yes as long as it does not leak. If your really worried about it bring the keg over too be I'll keep it on tap..just joking. You will be fine.

Awesome. I've got a couple beers almost ready that will be great fresh and this one can use a little more time.

as long as it is sealed and you don't keep it connected to the gas (or else adjust psi appropriately) you'll be fine

keep in mind you'll likely stir up yeast/sediment when you move it around so you may want to give it a few days to cool and settle again before drinking from it

as long as it is sealed and you don't keep it connected to the gas (or else adjust psi appropriately) you'll be fine

keep in mind you'll likely stir up yeast/sediment when you move it around so you may want to give it a few days to cool and settle again before drinking from it

This is the great news. I now need more kegs and fermenters.

Back